Author Topic: Completed - British library, London  (Read 4048 times)

Offline ballgarside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Completed - British library, London
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I have been looking at the online catalogue of newspapers available at the British Library in London and it looks very impressive.  They have virtually all local newspapers from the past 200 years.  Unfortunately I do not live near London and would not be able to visit the library in the near future.  There are a few issues of certain newspapers that may contain obituaries of my ancestors.  I could narrow down the dates of relevant issues.  I was wondering if anyone was planning to visit the British Library in the near future and could help me out with my research.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British library, London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 12:27 GMT (UK) »

I don't live near London either.

It would probably be best to do your narrowing-down and then ask. At least then someone would know what scale of lookup they might be committing themselves to.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ballgarside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 06 14:30 GMT (UK) »
It wouldn't be a huge task for what I am looking for.  I don't need someone to trawl through years of newspapers looking for an obscure article.  There are a few names on my family tree that may have local paper obituaries.  I would need to discuss with them how many to look for once I knew what time they were prepared to give.  The maximum time I would expect the things I wanted to locate would be a morning's worth of research.  I would reimburse any costs.  However, I'm not prepared to run up a huge bill employing a professional genealogist.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
I wrote to the local library archives, Royal borough of Kensington & Chelsea and Hammersmith & Fulham.
And Glasgow, Scotland.
All sent me news paper articles from local papers through the post.

Chelsea charged about £2.50
Hammersmith was free  :o
And Glasgow was again about £2.20

I live in London, but never get to go to the library. So I find it easier to e mail the local LIBRARY ARCHIVES, rather than the British Library which quoted me about £10.00  :o

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline ballgarside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, thank you pettsy.  I will try that route.  The British library charges 50 pounds for four newspaper lookups.  I'm not paying that, so may try the local route.  Do you know if there is a list of local archives anywhere on the internet?

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
You may need to do some googling for each county or borough etc. that concerns you.  Also, the local Family History Society in each area may have a website and will likely have a link. 
Here is a list of FHS's for London:
http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lon-fhs.html
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.
What areas are you looking for?

loo is right, I got most of mine local library e mail address by googling.

Good luck, it's worth it whaen you get a result.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline ballgarside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  My main area of interest is various towns/villages in South east.

Offline ballgarside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 May 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
I found an ordinary library.  They may know where the newspapers for the area are held.  I will email them and see.