Author Topic: Mciver from Uig/Carloway  (Read 20120 times)

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver from Uig/Carloway
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 March 06 11:46 GMT (UK) »
A couple of items to watch for:

(1) There is more than one Uig. I presume that you are after Uig, Isle of Lewis, Ross and Cromarty; and not the better known Uig, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire. (Uig is the Gaelic spelling; the English form is Wick; from the Norse word Vik, meaning bay.)

(2) Carloway was not an established parish in the OPR system. It came into Lochs parish. Carloway came into being as a registration district in 1859. Watch out for it appearing by its Gaelic spelling - Càrlabhagh.

Unfortunately there are no surviving OPRs for Lochs or Uig before 1820.

And as one of the other correspondents said, I will agree that area is a beautiful part of the world.

Carloway can be found on a map using the English spelling on www.streetmap.co.uk where you will find it on the map by the Gaelic spelling.

Some pictures of the broch at Dun Carloway can be found at
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lewis/duncarloway/index.html
Gaelic = Dùn Chàrlabhaigh

ADP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria

I think I've found your Donald on the 1881. He is living with his grandmother (Henny, widowed, aged 80) in Uig. He is shown as unmarried, aged 23, b. Uig, R & C, a fisherman. Also there is Henny's unmarried daughter, Ann, aged 56, formerly a domestic servant.

I might just try the 1891 ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Maria

I think it might be worth your spending £6 on Scotlands People. I believe that Donald did become a Police Constable. In 1891, I have possibly found him, living with his family (wife Mary) and children Donald, Ann and Finlay in 37 Belgrave Street,Glasgow. He had been there at least 3 years as his eldest child aged 3 was born there.
It states that he and Mary were born ?Breadelets, Ross-shire.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info everyone - I am learning lots here!

Found this

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/clandetails.html?clan=mciver.html

and Googling produces several lines that emigrated to Oz - but then, I hadn't appreciated quite how "popular" the name is!  :D

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Gadget you are worth your weight in gold. It certainly sounds like my Donald and with his childrens names the same as his siblings. He was a policeman after all.Yes I assume Breasclet and Uig are close together. Not that Iam familiar with Scotland. Some places mentioned are Little Berneray Uig, as well as breasclet, Uig and Carloway. ??? 
I just cant believe the amount of help I have been given. Thanks again all.Mariac   

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 March 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots Iam interested in the Google site that mentioned the Mcivers emigrating to Oz. Would you still have the name of the site. Thanks Mariac

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 March 06 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Marie

This was one, but if you just put McIver (and MacIver) plus Australia - you will find lots of others I am sure

http://users.bigpond.net.au/neilpollock/history/mciver.html

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 March 06 13:06 GMT (UK) »
thanks Arranroot,

will try that
           Mariac

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 March 06 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Now you have got me started!

My Kate McIver was daughter of Murdo MCIVER and Jane MCDONALD, & she married John Kennedy CAMERON in 1891 at the Clarendon Hotel, Princes St, Edinburgh!

I can't read the place names at the moment.

;)