Author Topic: 1841 Lookup Please... Cowx  (Read 20669 times)

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lookup Please... Cowx
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Goodmorning Geoff, i am guessing, but I think he may have been in his late 20' 30's when he past away.  That is exciting to me that you found an S Cowx,  he was a friend and fellow army soldier with my grandfather, and i believe they were about the same age.  My grand dad was born in 1921. Sams second wife was born in 1900, so he could also be a little older.  Thank you so much for checking that out??....Sorry i cant give an age, however my aunt is sending his death records to me next week to have look at! 

Cheers and have an awesome day!!! Lisa
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Oh Sorry Geoff, i made a mistake with the age range, I was late for work this am so i wrote the information fast.......I believe that Sam had to be in his late 30's to close to 50 when he past away.....Any help you can offer me will be huge for me and my aunt......I cant seem to find this fellow anywhere......its almost like he doesnt exist......hahahaha.....He has to though, or i wouldn't have an Aunt.......hahaha.......Thank you again!! Also to anyone who can help me out with this mystery!
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 April 11 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa
Would love to help if I can, but am a little bit confused right now. As I understand it your Aunt's grandfather was called Samuel.  In your first post you said he died in 1945-6.   And in your third post this was corrected to close to 1950? And at that time he is in his late 30s .  That would make him born 1920 at latest or say some time between 1910 and 1920 if the "close to 1950" bit is not that close  Am I right so far?

And he was close in age to your own grandfather who was born in 1921. You mention Sam's second wife who was born in 1900,  which you said would make him older.

But the person reported by Geoff would be born in 1897. If this is the same guy that would make him 53 if he died in 1950  and more if later in the 50s
To me that doesn't sound like the same guy. But we don't even know if Geoff's S Cowk is male or female! More follows in another message
Roger

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 April 11 05:00 BST (UK) »
I have a complete listing of all England and Wales Cowx from1837 As I was listing them I tried to pick up name variations but  a Cowk may have slipped through the net As a result I don't know who this S Cowk reported by Geoff is. But within the Cowx of England and Wales there are no Samuels  born anywhere at any time.  And if you look for S  names in the Cowx around 1897 there is only Willaim Stanley born in Cockermouth registration district in 1895 and he dies in 1896. There is a Harry Swithun  born in Yorks in 1898 who is part of my branch and Sarah Annie born in Wigton in 1902. So Geoff's person remains unattached.  It would seem safer to say that your Samuel was born in Canada. I'll leave you to work out the date

More follows

Roger

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 11 05:30 BST (UK) »
Turning now to the Ernest person, you are on slightly firmer ground. Only slightly because there are at least two of them. Both are Cowx and both ultimately come from the same Bassenthwaite family and both come via Canada

Both are servicemen who come from Canada to UK in WW2, settle and marry here  One is George Ernest Harold Cowx who marries Margaret Alice Gordon in Workington on 9th Jan 1943  He is a trooper of the Canadian Tank Regiment He comes from Whitby Ontario and his father is Joseph Frederick Cowx an iron worker. I don't know who he married and that would be worth checking out This is almost certainly the son of Joseph Frederick Cowx born 1878 in Cockermouth RD, one of the 14 children of  Joseph Cowx and Jane Melville who married at Whitehaven on 18 May 1872

The other Ernest is Ernest Edward Cowx, described as a soldier of the Canadian Army on his marriage on April 7th 1945 to Elsie Winifred Miles at Bedfont Middlesex UK.  His father is Andrew Melville Cowx, a boiler maker.  I have seen reports of him in British Columbia described as a steel worker and also as a photographer.  Andrew was born in Cockermouth RD in 1893 to Joseph and Jane above. His wife's name is not known to me, but would repay checking.  This Ernest's descendants live in London. The other ones descendants are in Cumbria and around Oxford UK

Hope this helps. Or does it confuse you more?
Best wishes
Roger

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 April 11 05:53 BST (UK) »
Oh Thank you Roger for your response. hahaha, I have to apologize to everyone here, as i am new to this genealogy and since my search started to help my aunt, i have discovered a lot of changes.  My great grand mothers husband was in fact Andrew Melville Cowx.  He is also a son of Jane and Joseph Cowx.  He was a painter here in Vancouver BC and died painting the Burrad Bridge September 30th 1948.  At this time he was married to my great grandmother Evelyn (Tranter) His obituary reads that he left four sons, John and George of Vancouver, Ernest who returned to England and two daughters Thelma and Gladys.  These children were from his first marriage.  Andrews first wife was Ada (Johnsey of Gloucestshire) They were married in 1914, December 16th in Vancouver.   

Now we are not sure how Andrew Melville adopted the name Samuel....this is a mystery as there is no one we know to varify how that name came to be.  My aunt was able to find her grandfathers death certificate and obituary, as well as his first marriage registration here in BC. 

It would be exciting to think that Ernest who was married to Elsie has living family as they would be half siblings to my Aunt.  From what i can tell, he seems to be the Ernest connected to Andrew. 

Thank you so much for helping me with this information, anything else you can offer to help me will be greatly appreciated!! thank you to everyone for your understanding with my confusion......Its been a long journey for me so far to figure out this family haha, but helping my Aunt in finding her family is very important as she is at a loss to where and who she came from.  A huge void is being filled by all!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 April 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
A little what I have been told about Ernest, it is my understanding that Ernest was born sometime near 1921, give or take a year or two.... i have been told that he, my grandfather and my grandmother were all part of a high school group and that there parents all new each other.  My grandfather and Ernest joined the military here in BC.  He left some time after 1942, we are not sure if he left before or after his father fall from the bridge...It is my understanding that there was not much knowledge of my Aunts father as she grew up.   Which is why she has asked me to do a search........She would love nothing more then to find her family and link the pieces together......Cheers! and thanks again... Lisa

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
I think this is important too, in addition to Andrew Melville's obituary, its says he left behind four brothers, James, Albert of Vancouver, Joseph of Ontario, Harold of Seattle, two sisters in England and one in Australia??  Now what i have noticed is some names have been changed ie. James could also be John??

Andrews Certificate of death says:  Andrew Cowx, date of death Sept.30, 1948, Place of death, Vancouver BC Canada, 55 years old. Born in England, residence at time Vancouver BC Canada. 

Andrew Melville's first wife Ada (Johnsey) Cowx, daughter of Enoch (parents Edward and Mary of Colesbourne Gloucestshire)  and Ellen Johnsey (parents Charles and Susan Ballingham) of Uckington Gloucestshire England.  Enoch and Ellen Johnsey left England Jan.5th 1863.  They moved to Charter Towers Queensland Australia. 

Because my Aunt was told very little about her fathers family, she doesn't know if her grand parents met in Vancouver or Australia.  She never met Ernest, and it doesn't seem she ever met his brothers or sisters.  There is a lot to her story she doesn't know which is why I am helping her search for her family and their history.  Hope  this new information sounds familiar to some one and thank you to Roger and Geoff for your help! and support!!

Offline millertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa Thank you for helpful repl.y Bit busy right now as my daughter is getting married in a fortnight so will have to drip feed you information.

Ernest And Elsie had 2 children ...................
Things get a bit messy after that as there is another Alan J Cowx .....................................

More follows

Roger
Moderator comment:   Please do not post any details of people who may be still alive.  Such details can be exchanged by personal message only.