Author Topic: Bishop Stortford P.S.A (P.H.A ?)  (Read 1674 times)

Offline beverley.susan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bishop Stortford P.S.A (P.H.A ?)
« on: Saturday 18 March 06 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Still need help trying to track down my WADHAMS family in the Bishops Stortford area.

Whilst clearing my dear dad-in-laws house (he died early Christmas morning) we came across two books awarded to Lucy and Ada Wadhams.

'Westward Ho' was awarded by Bishops Stortford P.S.A (possibly H) Signed by A.S. Barrett, Hon Gen Sec. April 10th 1907. 

'Valentine Vox' awarded by Bishops Stortford P.S.A (possibly H) Also signed by A.S. Barrett, Hon Gen Sec. April 28 1908.

The name in both was spelt Waddhams and is amended on the sheet to Wadhams.

This seems to confirm that the family were living in the area during the 1901 to 1910 period. 

I have all the census records with the family on, but tracking them between 1901 and 1910 and then to1916 during which time David died seems near impossible.

Can anyone throw any light on Bishops Stortford P S A ?  H A L S haven't been able to help.

Thanks
Bev

Offline millerina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Stortford P.S.A (P.H.A ?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bev  :),

Just had a thought....

Could A.S Barrett be Alfred Slaps Barrett, a famous Bishops Stortford resident who went on with Major William Holland to found "Holland and Barrett", now a health food chain?

If so, then you might be able to contact Holland and Barrett and find out what "P.S.A" he was Hon Gen Sec of during 1907 and 1908. They must have an archive somewhere, or be able to tell you where you can find out about him. I think that he was very involved in the community at the time, he was head of a group of trustees for Northgate Primary School during the 1870s and 1880s. So maybe he was a Governor for the School that the Wadhams attended? If you could find that out, then you might be able to see if the school has survived, and if it holds any old records which would be of help to you.

millerina  :)
All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk