Author Topic: Comber - Thompson families  (Read 15210 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Comber - Thompson families
« on: Monday 20 March 06 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Could someone please help me to trace my Thompson families from Comber?

My theory is that three brothers/cousins were helped by Lord Londonderry to move from Comber to West Rainton in County Durham when he needed to increase his work force for his expanding coalmines - which he inherited from his young wife!

John born c1820, Joseph born c1821 & Hugh born c1827 all made the move to England around the late 1840's early 1850's with their families.

John Thompson was married to Jane McCullough, and they had two sons John born c1842 & Richard born c1844 before they moved to England. Their first daughter Elizabeth was born in 1849 in County Durham followed by Hugh 11th October 1851, Jane born 1855, Mary born 1857 & Rebecca born 23rd March 1860.

Joseph Thompson was married to Margaret Ritchie, and they had four children born in Ireland, Hugh c1846, Agnes c1850, John c1852 & Isabella c1853. They had two more children born in England James 2nd March 1857 & Mary 1860.

Hugh Thompson also married a Comber lass, but her name varies on different certificates and census returns although I do think it is the same person. Her names are Ann, Agnes & Nancy and her surname is spelt McCullich, McMullough, McCullock & McCullough! They were married on the 1st May 1851 in The United Presbyterian Church, Houghton-le-Spring, after the birth of the first daughter called Elizabeth. She is 2 months old on the 1851 census. Other children were Isabella 1853, Hugh 1855, Agnes 9th December 1858 & Mary Alice 1864. On their marriage certificate the fathers are given as Hugh Thompson, pitman & Richard McCullich Millier.

Can anyone help me to find out if my theory about John, Joseph & Hugh are brothers/cousins, and could Jane McCullough & Ann McCullough be sisters? Are there any marriage records for John & Jane or Joseph & Margaret? Or are their any birth/christening records for the children born in Ireland?

I have found all these surnames on Rosalind Davies excellent website including a Hugh Thompson who was a publican in Mill Street, Comber in 1824, and the name Hugh appears in all the family branches.

Thank you all for reading this.
Best Wishes, Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Comber - Thompson families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a 2 page collection of references to individual Thompson,about half will be Ros davies references, the others from other sources eg freeholders PRONI etc. If you want I think its slightly too large for a rootschat answer,  I could send it direct.  Please replace the at with the symbol @ in my mail address (*) good luck I think your find about the Londonderrys coal mines most interesting, Jim

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 06 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your help. I'll be in touch.

Best Wishes, Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline smalexson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 09 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if there is any relationship to John Thomspon (father James) who married Agnes Wightman. The  12th of November 1886. Ballygown Presbyterian Church.  Their daughter Florrie Thompson married William Boyce in 1925.  They had a 2 sons and 5 daughters.  One of the daughters was Elizabeth born XXXX, she was my mother.  Would like to find out more about my family in Ireland.

Best Regards,
Shirley
White Rock, B.C.
Canada

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Shirley,

Sorry, but I don't think there is any connection because all my Thompson family had moved to County Durham, England,  long before 1886.

I noticed your address though, and I have been to White Rock several times as I have friends living there. A really lovely area although I gather you have had some severe weather just recently with lots of snow. We have had only a light snow covering in East Anglia, but it is very cold.

Good Look searching for your Thompsons.
Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline smalexson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Patsy,

Thank you for your reply.

White Rock is a very beautiful little seaside town.  Normally we get alot of strong winds coming off the water.  I cannot believe the amount of snow that fell last month.  It has since disappeared with all the rain we have received.   Hope you get a chance to come back to White Rock. 

Best Regards,
Shirley

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy.
A couple of Comber Thompson / Thomson marriages. Don't know if they connect to your lot, but they might.

Married on the 5 October 1855.
Ist Presbyterian Church, Newtownards, Co Down, by license by Julius McCullough.
David Irvine, full age, a bachelor, a labourer, resided Drumhirk, Co Down.
Father, William Irvine, a farmer.
Esther Thompson, full age, a spinster, resided Ballyskeagh, Co Down.
Father, James Thompson, a farmer.
Witnesses,  Robert Bell and Sarah Thompson.

Married 14 August 1869.
Regent Street Presbyterian Church, Newtownards, Co Down.
By license by Thomas Watters, minister.
William Quin, age 25, a bachelor, a farm servant, resided Cullintraw, Comber.
Father, John Quin, a farmer.
Margaret Thomson, full age, a spinster, a servant, resided High St., Newtownards.
Father, John Thomson, a labourer, deceased.
Witnesses,  James Todd and Elisa Thomson.
Index reference in the Register of Marriages,   1869 / Newtownards / volume 11 / page 975.
(I think this system of reference only applies at Dublin GRO now,)

Regards,
Dixie

Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi DixieDee,

Ever so sorry for the late reply, but I have only just bumped into your message by chance. I don't think there is a family connection, but then again even the vicar is called Julius McCullough so I must be in the right area.

Thank you for taking the time to post all the information, and I will keep a record of it as you never know just when something turns out to be useful.

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline Beverley_and_Matt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 March 09 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Patty,

this is my husband branch of Thompsons. (

"Hugh Thompson also married a Comber lass, but her name varies on different certificates and census returns although I do think it is the same person. Her names are Ann, Agnes & Nancy and her surname is spelt McCullich, McMullough, McCullock & McCullough! They were married on the 1st May 1851 in The United Presbyterian Church, Houghton-le-Spring, after the birth of the first daughter called Elizabeth. She is 2 months old on the 1851 census. Other children were Isabella 1853, Hugh 1855, Agnes 9th December 1858 & Mary Alice 1864. On their marriage certificate the fathers are given as Hugh Thompson, pitman & Richard McCullich Millier."

I would love it if you could get in touch. :)

Beverley Ramsden
Ontario, Canada