Author Topic: Irish link to Birmingham  (Read 1566 times)

Offline clr1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irish link to Birmingham
« on: Monday 20 March 06 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just been reading this artical from our local news paper and thought it may be of interest to someone out there. It talks about William Bermegham from Ireland who lived and worked in the city, and his possible connections to the Birmingham name.

http://www.expressandstar.com/articles/features/life/article_88259.php

Carl.
Bradford / Leeds :- Rowntree, Gillings, Clayton, Wood, Hopkinson.
Wolverhampton :- Littleton, Pearson, Evans, Leighton.

Offline Jacamar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish link to Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 06 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carl !!

This was very interesting as my Irish McNicholas ancestors came over from Mayo and ended up in Bilston. Head of family Michael was an Iron puddler. In 1871 they were in Temple Street which also seemed to have a lot of courts and a concentration of Irish famliles.

They later moved to Oldcott, Wolstanton where the address is listed imaginatively as "New Buildings" which was again packed with Irish families. However, I think this has since been demolished as I can't find a reference to it any more?

Last weekend, I went back to Staffordshire with my father to check out the various streets and locations I have uncovered in my research and he pointed out an an area near where he had lived as a child and said "We used to call that area the  "Orange Free State" as it was solidly Irish!". I asked if these were Northern Irish but he shrugged and said back then people didn't know the difference .. OUCH!

Anyway,  thanks again for the link to the article!

Lynn

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacamar
My childrens maternal family of Turnock and Tunstall are linked to Boyle and Doyle from New Buildings, Goldenhill.  As a local and from studying the census enumerators routes I think New Buildings was behind High St Goldenhill where the Co-op now stands, somewhere by Perkins Street as far as I can establish.
Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline sarahjstoddart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

Not sure if you are still using the site - I found your post while researching some of my relatives who were William Boyle and Annie Boyle living in the New Buildings at Goldenhill. Are these the same family that you're referencing?

William and Annie are my great-great-great-grandparents (daughter Esther Boyle had a child Joseph Boyle out of wedlock who had my grandfather Michael Boyle).

Sarah

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Jacamar. It's interesting that you mention temple street bilston. A family rumour is that there was an irish woman married to a german man. One candidate of mine is petcher for the man's surname  and his wife Catherine tams, born illegitimately to a Hannah tams. I suspect those are the couple with the ancesters that are german and irish. There's no direct ancesters likely to be the ones. It must be someone a few census's back, there's not many candidates which could be possible and so thanks for that. Mine are in temple street in 1861.