Author Topic: 128a Fowler Street, South Shields  (Read 11966 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 128a Fowler Street, South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jan & Jennifer,

Thank you for all the suggestions - I feel a few letters coming on or a quick trip on 'Squeezie Jet'.

I love looking at the Sanddancers website, and have a few old photographs that my Dad took of the Mayor's Parade and the Town Hall from our front door and windows which I keep meaning to send them - the intensions are good! My Mam was a messenger for the fire brigade during the war and afterwards was a member of the auxiliary fire service so she used to take part in the parades.

Back in 2004 I came across a website with pictures of South Shields, one of which was Roberts Television shop on the corner of Fowler Street and Mount Terrace, but do you think I can find the website again!!!!! The reference on the bottom of the page was an http address which continued a5.cpimg.com/image the reason why I am trying to contact them is they have given a date of 1937 for the photo, but it was 1953. The television shop is all decorated for the Coronation, and in 1937 there were not many televisions about! Also in the picture and next door to Roberts was Duncan's Grocers, and  my memories in there are they used to have a large slab of butter which they took a lump off and 'patted' it into shape before wrapping it - none of this pre-packed stuff!

Going back to 1953 we had so many people sitting on our balcony at 128a it was amazing we did not fall through into the shops below! Why we were all out there? Watching the Queen's visit. The official film ends as she crosses the Tyne Bridge, but no she continued on down to Shields and visited the Town Hall. I think the TV camera panned around and commented on people watching from every conceivable vantage point.

Enough reminiscence for now before I bore you all.

Thanks again.
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline snackdahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Patsy,

I've been checking through the various old maps that I have for South Shields and may have found an answer for you.

In 1897, Fowler Street ran from Ocean Road (as it still does), but ended at Thomas Street where it was called Victoria Terrace until the corner of Ogle Terrace (now Beach Road) where it became Westoe Lane (now Westoe Road). So the block where you lived would have been known as Victoria Terrace (Charlotte Street ran directly behind it and they both merged into Westoe Lane at what is now the Town Hall) This is roughly the last 2 blocks of shops at the top of Fowler Street as it is now.

According to Wards Directory for this period, Fowler Street ran from no2 - no78 and no7 - no65 on either side and Victoria Terrace ran from no1 - no23 on the one side.

Incidently, 128/130 Fowler Street is now the estate agents "Chase Homes".

Regards,
Rob

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 June 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Rob,

Thank You so much for that lead - I have spent the last couple of happy hours (I should have been doing something else, but never mind!) having a good old search through the census returns etc.

Looking at my Old Ordnance Survey Map of 1895 it gives no clues at all about a Victoria Terrace, but if you count up the buildings between Thomas Street to where it merges with Charlotte Street there are indeed 23 properties, and if it was number 1 on the corner of Thomas Street and number 23 by the Town Hall then I THINK 128a Fowler Street and 20 Victoria Terrace are the same building.

I had thought those building had been erected between 1891 & 1901, but not a bit of it they go back to at least the 1871 census. Ref: RG10/5030 Folio 21, page 35, Westoe District 8.

The people living at number 23 are quite interesting in 1871 - Leonard Armstrong, aged 46 from Wark in Northumberland a Surgeon in Practice, and living next door at number 22 was, I am guessing, his younger brother Joseph Forster Armstrong also a Surgeon in Practice. Ten years later in 1881 Joseph has moved into number 23, and he is still there in 1891 having remarried but now has 1 son, 5 daughters, and four servants. Again here I am guessing but I should think that it the house right on the point of what is/was Fowler Street - Charlotte Street.

In 1891 at number 22 Victoria Terrace it looks like there is a school run by 3 sisters called Stewart. The eldest Alice Mary is a Schoolmistress at a private school employing her younger sister Henrietta Louise, and also living there is a governess from Scotland, Edith Gray, cook Sarah Potts and housemaid Dorothy Atkinson.

The 1901 census gives business such as Ironmonger (working at home) Fruit & Poultry Dealer, Grocer, Draper, Glass & China Merchants so definitely a main shopping street.

I have not been back to South Shields since last summer (2008), which was just after "Chase Homes" opened. I did ask them if I could go up their new spiral staircase into my old home, but due to 'Health and Safety Regulations' and some planning rules I was not allowed to go up stairs. To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly after a 300 mile journey! To think as a toddler I played on the balcony above the shops with my dolls, and now I am stopped by health and safety from going up a staircase! Um!

Also it was news to me that Beach Road was called Ogle Terrace, because again my 1895 map names it as Bent House Lane. I am sure they keep changing things just to keep us on our toes when researching.

Thank You so much for that gem of information, it has put a whole new light on my old home.
Best Wishes,
Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline snackdahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 June 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Glad to have been able to help Patsy, it was nice to the repay the help you have given me several times  :)

The end building on the corner of Beach Road and Fowler Street still has the Ogle Terrace sign directly above the newer Beach Road sign. These are also still visible along Westoe Road and Ocean Road where almost every block seems to have a different name?

Here's Victoria Terrace in 1897:

No1      Miss EC Blann - ladies outfitter
No2      T Alexander - boot dealer
No3      GS Giles - hairdresser
No4      T Willis - grocer
No5      Mrs A Edwards - fancy repository
No6      CC Smith & Co - grocers (Mrs E Weddell register ofc)
No7      Mrs S Weinberg - frntr baker
No8      Morris & Co - milliners (friends meeting house)
No9      Mrs MA Softley - fruiterer
No10    JT Dagleas - plumber
No11    M&E Atkinson - fancy repository
No12    T Storey - brushmaker
No13    T Humphries - fruiterer
No15    Sutcliffe & Page LDS - dental surgeons (Miss EC Blann - ladies outfitter)
No16    Mrs MA Haggerston - draper
No17    GF Tate LDS - dental surgeon
No18    R Hodge - picture framer
No19    Miss J Davison - fruiterer
No20a  JR Gallon - butcher
No21    J Taylor & Co - spirit merchants
No21a  A Ellis - chemists
No22    Misses Stewart - school
No23    JF Armstrong - surgeon

Regards,
Rob.

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the list of residents in 1897. I think it was the Blann family who lived at 20 Victoria Terrace in 1901, so although their shop was down the road at number 1 they lived a few doors away. Mrs. Marian Blann was a widow who was born in Slinfold, Sussex and according to the census return worked with her daughter Elizabeth. Her younger daughter Ellen was a dentist clerk on the census return so she only had to walk to number 15. Mr. Henry Blann had been a mariner at sea but must have died sometime between the census returns of 1891 & 1901.

Now I am going to try something new - actually posting a photograph - fingers crossed it works. It should be a postcard of Westoe Lane, taken I think from outside St. Bede's Church, but it is looking towards Victoria Terrace/Fowler Street. It has a 1926 postmark on the back. It is the only photo taken from that angle I have ever found - there must be more out there somewhere!

I have a couple more photos of the corner of Fowler Street & Beach Road/Ogle Terrace taken from the flat, but I will try my hand with just one photo to start with!!!!!

I hope you other RootsChatters with interest in the South Shields area find it helpful.
Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Flushed with my success of putting up a picture I will now try the other pictures showing the Town Hall and the corner of Beach Road / Ogle Terrace taken from the balcony of 128a Fowler Street. The oldest one was taken by my Dad about 1949/1950 at about the time we first moved there. You will notice how high the wall is around the corner, but no sign of any 'street furniture' to clutter the scene. The second one does not mean the Town Hall is falling down!!!!! I was trying to get the ship on the top of the tower into the picture, but failed! Well I had just been given the camera as a present so I was experimenting!!!!! The photo was taken about 1960/1, and still no clutter about the streets. The junction looks quite different now as traffic is directed up Beach Road at a set of lights instead of going straight down Folwer Street. It has certainly made Fowler Street quieter than I ever remember it, but it also looks like trade has suffered.

From the list posted by Rob for Victoria Terrace in 1897 has anyone spotted some family members? It would be nice to know if his information was useful to others.

Well enough rambling let's see if I can press the corrected buttons for a second time!!!!

Good Luck to you all with your family searching.
Patsy