Author Topic: Carney/McMAHON(e) Dublin: East Yorks regiment  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Merseyside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carney/McMAHON(e) Dublin: East Yorks regiment
« on: Monday 20 March 06 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Just put this in the 'Armed Forces' section

I'd better post it here too

I'm hoping to trace any descendants of my great uncles

William, Frederick, Edmund and Thomas Patrick CARNEY, all from Dublin who served in the East Yorkshire Regiment during the Boer War and WW1. They had another brother John who was also in the East Yorks, but sadly he died in 1918 aged 36

Their father, my grtgrandfather Henry CARNEY was a soldier in the 15th regiment of foot. He was born in Aglish Co Mayo He joined the regiment in 1858 at Westport and was discharged to pension 1880. He died in 1910. He married Jane McMAHON on 2nd February 1871 in the Catholic Chapel of St James Dublin. Both were of full age. Henry's occupation was given as 'soldier', his residence Richmond Barracks, his fathers name Remegius Carney, labourer.
Jane's residence Hospital Land Island Bridge, father Charles McMahon, labourer

His five sons followed suit and joined the regiment renamed the East Yorkshire regiment. The five sons were educated at the Royal Hibernian Military school in Dublin

Their sister Christina was my grandmother who later moved to Liverpool and married my grandfather Thomas GARVEY, also from Dublin. They lived in Bootle. John Carney DCM lost his right eye at Ypres and lived with them for a time in 29 Keats st Bootle before he died in 1918

CSM/RSM Thomas Patrick CARNEY MC DCM (and bar) married a girl from Hull, Sarah Agnes WATTS, eldest daughter of William WATTS of Hull on the 10th of May 1919 in St Mary's Wilton st Hull. The couple settled in Hull but the family appear to have lost contact with them and all of the other brothers who may have gone back to Dublin to live

They also had a sister called Philomena or "Cissie" as they called her. She emigrated to either Canada or America early 1900's and was not heard from again

I put more details on this page:

http://www.old-liverpool.co.uk/Carney.html

Caryl