Author Topic: 1851 on Ancestry, what to look for?  (Read 3138 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
1851 on Ancestry, what to look for?
« on: Monday 20 March 06 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John Bingham 1795ish Essex area in 1840 on the Ancestry 1851 census, there is a possibility he may be dead, I have tried a number of variations
John Bingham
J  Bingham
Jo Bingham
Bingham plus approx date
Brigham
Can anyone give me some ideas on what other variations I could look for please

Thank you

Libby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 on Ancestry, what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Libby

You have most of them there!

You could also try leaving the surname off entirely (just put place of birth and date and first name).  It will obviously produce a lot of results, but if you have an occupation, you might recognise him.

Have you included the place of birth with your search each time?  Try leaving it out.  Similarly, try leaving the age out of  the search in case he gave it inaccurately.

Before I devoted too much time to the search, I would be inclined to find out whether he had in fact died though!  Is he on the 1841 census?

good luck!  kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that arranroots.

I haven't got access to 1841 census but was looking at 'thegenealogist.co.uk' site. Anyone got any info on how good or bad this site is?

Libby

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Libby,

The 1841 census has a John Bingham, 47, ag lab, living with wife Bridget (43) and 8 children in Pattiswick, Essex.  Is he the one you have in mind? Children are George, Eliza, Mary, Hannah, John, Stephen, Ephraim and Sophia.

Edited to add: if he is the right one, he's dead by 1851 as Bridget is widowed and head of household in Pattiswick with 3 of the children (Ephraim, Sophia and Stephen).

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Anna, I'm really not sure if it is him!

All the info I have on John Bingham is as follows and is not alot

his daughter marries in 1840 Mary Bingham to Henry Perry at The Parish Church, Shoreditch, Middlesex. Mary's father is a John Bingham occ Farmer. I have found Mary on later census stating her birth place as Hatfield, Essex in approx 1814. Unfortunately I don't know either Henry or Marys mothers names, but there own children are John, James Bingham, William,Elizabeth Mary, Catherine and Charlotte.

Any help gratefully received

Libby

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...how uncooperative of her to have married before the 1841 census!

Someone on CuriousFox has posted a message about the Bingham family in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex from 1731 onwards.  Could that be worth following up?

Edited to add: your Mary does give her birthplace as Hatfield Broad Oak in 1871.

I'll keep thinking.

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Well, Hatfield Broad Oak seems to have had its own mini-census in 1811, and John Bingham "& wife" is listed there - occupation "agr", 4 males and 4 females in the household.  There are two other Bingham households in the village, that of James snr and that of James jnr.

http://www.essexvillages.net/villages/hatfieldbroadoak/census/hatfieldbroadoakcen1811.html

Anna

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow well fancy that, I've had a look and as you said there is a John and family but whether it is mine is another question?

Thank you for that Anna, another interesting site!

Their residence at time of marriage was Waltham Abbey, she is stated as being full age which I have worked out to be about 26. Assuming she was first born and her dad married at the age of 20 his birth year will be approx 1794.

I did the same sum with Henry's dad and was totally out because I believe I found him yesterday on http://essex1841.com/Essex  whilst searching for John and he is aged 60!!!

Libby

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the difficulty - you can never know whether they're the first child or the 10th!

Given that you know Mary's birthplace, I would think the obvious next step would be to look up the parish records of Hatfield Broad Oak and see whether you can find her baptism and other references to the family.  I would think that there's a pretty good chance the 1811 John is your man, given that it's only 3 or 4 years before her birth. If he is, he seems to have quite a houseful by 1811 so I wouldn't expect to find that Mary was the firstborn.

There are no Binghams in Hatfield Broad Oak by 1841.

Edited to add: per 1861-1881 censuses the Perrys seem to have had another daughter in addition to those you mention: Margaret Susannah, b abt 1851 (per 1861), 1852 (per 1871) or 1854 (per 1881).

HTH

Anna