Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 760 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
what would you do?
« on: Monday 20 March 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Not really lighter side, this, but would like other people's opinion.

I didn't know my father's family, and always wondered. Now well past retirement, I spend most of my spare time on the family tree. I've got hundreds of names from my mother's family, and from my father's mother's family, but everything stops with my great-granddad on my father's father's side. This is because he seems to be German (tho no proof of that beyond his name). I've spent hours at Kew going through naturalization records, and far more money than I can afford on certificates - no luck.

Imagine my delight when I contacted someone via an internet genealogy site, whose great-great-grandfather was my great-grandfather. His mother, he said, had loads of photographs.

I was beside myself with excitement. The young man gave me his email address, and I sent him a copy of the one precious photo I have, plus some BMD info. He sent me his messager name and address. He promised to get back.

Then it all stopped. I've tried the genealogy site, his email address and his messenger address, just in case I had the wrong one,  but he just ignores me. Obviously after four ignored mails I got the message, and have given up.

Only someone who's been in this position can imagine how I feel. This is the only surviving line from my father's paternal family. They may know where great-granddad came from (that's all I need - I can do the rest myself!). a photo would be a bonus. I don't want to meet the family or ring them or in any way intrude in their lives. I thought the fact the young man was on a genealogy site meant he would welcome the sharing of info.

Should i just give up, and accept this is one line I'll never be able to follow?

What would you do?

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 06 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I had someone do that to me on this very site and its not very nice. I pm him a few times and got ignored so I stopped bothering and did eventually get the info I needed,well some of it anyway.

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 06 21:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi lesleyhannah!

I feel for you - I really do! thats happened to me far more times than I like to admit !! -
but I decided that I was the only one that got hurt - the others really didn't give a "you know what!" - so I hitched up my britches and started over !!
RootsChat was the place that I chose to do it !! and what fun I've had in the process :) :)
Post again for the family you want to follow and lets see if we can get you going again with renewed hope - you never know - miracles do happen and always when you least expect it !!

Forget him - he's not worth your energy !!

Annie  :) :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Annie, come on Lesleyhannah give it a go, back to basics and all that  :)

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 06 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I had the same happen to me.  It's a real slap in the face, but my motto is "success is the best revenge" and I'm sure if you post your information here, lots of people will help you and you'll get the information yourself.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi lesleyhannah

Never say give up  :D  100 things could have happened to him.   

As Annie says don't spend your energy worrying about it, dust off your old notes, and give it a shot  ;D

Wendi  ;D

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesleyhannah & others,
No don't give up, and i found it difficult using lots of different "roots" websites and keeping track of it all and finding my way back to where i got info. your person is probably still looking elsewhere. try using "name" in search engines to find where they are looking now and if succesful give them a gentle reminder.

best wishes and good luck   :)
Tony h
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only one - and it did me good to share my frustration and hurt. I hadn't realised this was a common thing to happen - up to now everyone I've had contact with has been really helpful, and I try my best to help people who write to me. Thanks again for the support. This really is the friendliest site I've come across. Lesley.