Author Topic: bit of fun-designing a family crest  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: bit of fun-designing a family crest
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Easy to do hard to explain - but here goes!!

Open picture no 1
open picture no 2 - duplicate layer - any name - with the layers window open, 2 images on view - click on the duplicate photo and drag the whole image in the main Screen with picture no 1.

Cheers Keith

P.S. Come back when that doesn't work!!  ;D
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
It works but how do I make it more see through rather than just erasing the top layer in places to see the bottom

Also can I do this on a bigger scale or does it have to be on top of the previous picture eg like making a whole page of these pictures?

Am I being thick?

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

No your not being thick - as I said it's easy when you know how.

At the top of the layers window is the "opacity" set to 100% - alter that accordingly.

Now I am being  thick - what do you mean "larger scale"??

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith

I just mean rather than placing all the new layers on top of the first photo - can you make it so that you can have lots of smaller layers on top on a background of more than one photo

I dont think I am explaining myself very well here - sorry

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:54 BST (UK) »

Try this - with the magnetic lasso mark any bit you want - then "control J" - then "control T" then with move tool have a play to alter the dimensions of the smaller piece - probably not what you wanted but it's fun!!  ;D

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 March 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna

It's actually better to have lots of layers then you can alter their order as you 'play'. As Keith says just select a little bit from an image and paste it in as a new layer. To do the one I'm working on for Keith, I used various opacities and moved them around both 2 and 3 dimensionally to get the effect I wanted. You can then merge them when you're happy - but keep the original unmerged as well.

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 March 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
I will do Gadget - thanks for the tips (as always)

Anna x x x x
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
eeerggghh
photoshop must be the least intuitive software I've ever used >:(
did you guys teach yourself or get lessons? I've never got tuition for using the computer or any software before, and manuals get left on the shelf, but photoshop stumps me
Monique
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 March 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Monique,

I signed up for a few lessons here - it was free - just gave them my email address - which I was loath to do - but as it was an email coarse I had to!!

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps5pre.htm

Only 6 weekly lessons - and really nothing to do with actual repairing - but just what each toll did and how to use it.
Some of the things at the time I thought were useless - like transferring a Star design onto a fish shape and altering the opacity - just like we have been talking about!! - but I thought - rubbish I will never use that - but.....

The thing is you do it in your own time - can go back whenever you want - and the answer is at the bottom of the page!!  ;D

As you say manuals are for the people who know what they are doing in the first place - I only got photoshop just before Christmas - but now understand at least 5% of it!! - just enough to work on here.

Have a go - if I can do it - anyone can!!

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails