Author Topic: '1837 on line'  (Read 3513 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
'1837 on line'
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this site. I purchased some credits but have been dissappointed in how little i've been able to find. The 1891 census wont give me anyone that i put names in for, this is despite the fact that others on here have been able to give me details of these particular relatives obtained elsewhere. So--have any of you had more luck with '1837 on line' or should i spend my pennies on another site!!!!!
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: '1837 on line'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried it for the census stuff Poli - I either have my own or access one of the various other pay to view sites.
For getting GRO refs it is fine - if you don't have names like John Jones or Robert Roberts, who were born/married/died in 18xx give or take 5 years , which I did. Eventually I found them but it was heavy on the eyes and wallet  :( :'( :'(
Still, as I live in the 'back of beyond'  with no access to any Family History Centres, it is a boon. However, now Ancestry have introduced their version into Beta and I  have a subscription to them and bought many units as a special deal from 1837 >:(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

I have a subscription to Ancestry too, but I still find more bmds on 1837 online!  It's just one of a number of sites I use when trying to find bmds.  I also use Freebmd.  In other words I keep digging away til I find what I am looking for!

Expensive, yes, but then nobody said this hobby was going to be cheap!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

I have a subscription to Ancestry too, but I still find more bmds on 1837 online!  It's just one of a number of sites I use when trying to find bmds.  I also use Freebmd.  In other words I keep digging away til I find what I am looking for!

Expensive, yes, but then nobody said this hobby was going to be cheap!!!

Kerry

Think we've been around Kerry - funny we have only met (virtually)since I joined RC ;D
I'd be a millionairess if I'd saved my money - I could have kept ALL of my ancestors for years on my expenditure on their history. Some I found in a Workhouse :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Funny that!

I found a couple who died as Paupers in a workhouse, I could have kept them out with the money I've been spending.   :'( :'( :'(

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I bought some units from 1837 recently when they had an offer, but I find if you don't have an exact date you soon eat away all those credits.  But it is so much quicker than Ancestry, and if you have restricted Broadband use or limits Ancestry piles that on too!
But I always try FreeBMD first!
Oh and I've used familyrelatives too, thats great for 1866 -1920.

I could have kept some of mine from the workhouse too...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
I've also had trouble finding people on the censuses using 1837online - Even if I try the exact details (person or address search) as supplied by a rootschatter who found them via another source. The only reason that I can see for this is that different transcribers read the same entry differently, and therefore the indexes contain different data.

I recently found someone in the 1851 Census using Familyhistoryonline (which does not have an "others in the household" feature), and asked users of a different source to check and advise who else was at that address. The reply was that the woman (name, age and birthplace supplied)was not in the town that I had stated. She was eventually found in the stated town by her first name and age - the surname and birthplace were different on the 2 indexes, and if I hadn't used the FHO, I may never have found her.

The moral of this story is that if one source comes up empty, try another - the transcribers on that one may have been closer in their interpretation.

Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN