Author Topic: Edw. Gregg - farmer of Elkesley  (Read 1393 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Edw. Gregg - farmer of Elkesley
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 11:53 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-grandmother Christiana Rollitt was baptised in Elkesley, Notts on 19 Sep 1802. She died in 1823 in Elkesley aged 21 (although there is a record of her burial on 26 June 1824).

Christiana's illegitimate son James (and my great-great-grandfather) was through a relationship with a farmer called Edw. Gregg. James was baptised James Gregg Rollitt.

I can find no reference to any Gregg living in that area at that time. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
Simon Rollitt

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edw. Gregg - farmer of Elkesley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Simon,
How about

IGI record for Christening

Edward William Gregg
Chr 23 Jun 1803
Father William
Mother Elizabeth
St Mary, Nottingham

Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Claudia,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've seen that record - I was hoping someone would be able to come up with an Edw. Gregg who was more local to Elkesley. Then again I don't know where St Mary's is exactly within the city of Nottingham. If it's the Elkesley/Gamston side then I suppose I could have my man.

Thanks again,
Simon

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
St Mary's in right in the centre of Nottingham. Elkesley is about 25 miles north east of Nottingham. Like I said, I would like to think there was a more local candidate for Edw. Gregg. He would have been born about 1800.

Simon

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »
If it helps to discount one ... I believe the Edward William born Nottingham was a solicitor, marrying first a Sarah Fisher (1829) and then a Matilda (his occupation is noted on the baptisms register).

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk