Author Topic: Coroner's Courts in Monmouthshire  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coroner's Courts in Monmouthshire
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to find a report for an inquest held in 1912. The death occurred in Phillipstown, New Tredegar. Would anyone have any idea whereabouts this inquest would have been held? I am hoping to find a report in one of the Newspapers in circulation at the time but don't know where to start? I would be really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks.

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner's Courts in Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mrs Food,

I have tried to trace an inquest held in The George Inn, Brithdir (near New Tredegar) and was told that there were a number of possibilities for where the records (if they existed) could be held.  It is fairly common for inquests to be held in loca pubs.

I found the datails of the inquest in the local paper - The Merthyr  Express.  It is available in local libraries, but be warned there are a number of different editions.  I have found the details in Merthyr Tydfil Library and Bargoed Library.  If you are not local, post me the details and I will have a look next time I am up the library for you.

Ore Dragon

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ore Dragon,

Thanks very much for your reply. I've got the date of the inquest and will certainly go and have a look at the Merthyr Express at Merthyr Library.
I didn't realise that inquests were often held in local pubs, I did think it was a bit much to expect the poor bereaved family to travel any great distance to attend an inquest

Thanks for your advice

best wishes

Mrs Food

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 06 23:27 BST (UK) »
If it isn't in the merthyr Express try the South Wales Argus as this paper was in circulation then and has always covered Monmouthshire.

GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 06 10:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

Mrs Food