Author Topic: Nigerian census problems  (Read 5986 times)

Offline BertieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lost but not fogotten
    • View Profile
Nigerian census problems
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is really the 'lighter' side...

I know we take our census information seriously, but people dying because of the census in Nigeria? What is going on?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4828090.stm

I'll never moan about UK enumerators again.

Bob :o
Hutchinson: Lancashire, Yorkshire, Norfolk, India (Lucknow)
Hughes: Wales(!), Manchester/Lancashire, USA (Delaware & Pennsylvania)
Briant/Bryant: Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Devon?
Squire: Devon

All Census Look ups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Nigerian census problems
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Those of you searching for your Irish ancestors think you have problems because a Census or two is missing. You complain because so many names are identical. The population in Ireland has always been relatively small compared to a country like Nigeria with an estimated population between 120 million and 150 million.

There are interesting comparisons between the Census enumeration system in this country and that in Nigeria. Here a form is popped through your letter box, you answer the questions which are applicable to and your family and either post it back or hand it to a member of the Census team when they call to collect the completed document.

The people in Nigeria have been told to stay indoors as the enumerators attempt to count the population.  I fail to see why this is taking up to five days. There are said to be one million enumerators...by my reckoning that is 12 to 15 people to be enumerated per enumerator. Break that down a bit further...three people per day to be enumerated per enumerator. Since answers to questions relating to ecclesiastical and ethnical matters are not being asked how are Nigerians 100 years hence going to trace their ancestors ??? Sorry guys :'( The work is a bit harder than I thought. Each enumerator has to see 120 to 150 people. That is some task.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4830458.stm

Bob,

like yourself I am not sure where we should have posted our messages.
I saw your post here so replied here rather than starting a new thread on The EVEN LIGHTER Lighter Side which is for off subject topics. I don't see a Census as being off subject.

All the Best, Chris

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 06 09:22 GMT (UK) »
LEt's hope they don't do what the Aussies do with their Censuses - destry them!

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 March 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
LEt's hope they don't do what the Aussies do with their Censuses - destry them!

Bob

Sure now Bob, didn't the British and the Irish set the example of destroying Censuses. First the British destroyed a lot of Irish Censuses (mid to late eighteen hundreds)..then the Irish had a fight with the British and had a bit of a bonfire destroying a few more Irish Censuses (The Easter Rising 1916).

The British and Irish of that period had no foresight and really were so thoughtless. They never considered the feelings of amateur genealogists of the future who would be searching for Irish ancestors. They thought, and still think, Ireland is Britain's backyard where they can scrap with each other and wreck everything in the process. The British are slowly coming to their senses ??? (should that be Census ???) in their efforts to get the Irish to shake hands with each other. Sure now they haven't a clue. Don't they realise that in the Rising of '98 the Irish were more or less United and fought them. Sooner or later the Irish will reunite, and like the victorious Irish rugby team, will take on all comers and beat them fair and square.

I am a very amateur Irish Historian as you may have gathered..I see little need to go into Irish History in the detail that some historians think the subject requires. Too much detail only confuses people.

All the Best, Chris