Author Topic: Torrance  (Read 2139 times)

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Torrance
« on: Wednesday 06 October 04 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Am looking for any information regarding my Greatgrandfather Stephen Torrance, he married Ellen Gale in January 1894 in Southampton (have copy marriage cert) they had 4 children, Stephen Francis (my grandfather) Marjorie Ida, Ellen Irene (who married a New Zealander who was over here due to WW1 and they moved back to New Zealand) and Florence Emily. 

My problem is not being able to trace my Great Grandfather back further.  He was 26 in January of 1894.  I think I remember my late Grandmother telling me he was an orphan, but I may have been imagining it.  I do know that he was a Groom and lived in or near the New Forest in his later life.  I have lots of information but none that will be any help in tracing him further back!  So any help would be greatfully accepted.
Many Thanks
nickyhug
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Torrance
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 04 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is his fathers name listed on the marriage certificate?

I have had a look through and can't seem to find anything other than his marriage and the 1901 census.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Torrance
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 04 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky
It gives Stephen Torrance's father as William Torrance - deceased.  My greatgrandmother, Ellen Gale's father was Joseph Gale and the witnesses were Joseph Gale and Mary Louisa Gale.  They were married in St Thomas Church in the Parish of Woolton Hill in the County of Southampton.  I don't suppose knowing these other names are going to be much help in tracing the Torrance side of the family.  Although all information is interesting, after all they are still other members of the family! 
Thank you, in advance for any help/advice given.
nickyhug
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand