Author Topic: "My Ancestry Shoebox" problem  (Read 11069 times)

Offline fade2gray

• RootsChat Extra
  • The deeper you dig - the steeper the sides
    • View Profile
"My Ancestry Shoebox" problem
« on: Wednesday 22 March 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I find I can't delete saved searches from my "shoebox" on Ancsetry.

The problem is the same for both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers; does anyone have any advice other than trying to notify Ancestry?

Thanks.
Names: Leslie Bodman Raubenheimer

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "My Ancestry Shoebox" problem
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
I found this site  ::)
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=8845
Tell you how to clear out your shoebox  :o
Hope it helps
                  Patricia  ;)
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fade2gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
I found this site  ::)
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=8845
Tell you how to clear out your shoebox  :o
Hope it helps
                 Patricia  ;)

Thank you Patrica, but irrelevant in this case.  :P

Clicking on the X won't delete saved search items. >:(  But thanks for trying. :-*

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried logging out after you have tried to delete the saved search. This might clear it  ???
        Patricia  :)
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline fade2gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried logging out after you have tried to delete the saved search. This might clear it  ???

Tried what you suggested, but nope - didn't work. I think it might be a problem with the javascript for the function.

Sent them a message - wonder how long their "next business day" response will take?  ::)

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Let us know what they say  8)
          Patricia  :D
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline fade2gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 06 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Suprisingly I got quite a quick reply, although I think it is a generic one. ::)

Response (Stephanie)    03/24/2006 08:25 AM
Dear (my name),

We appreciate your message.
Please consider the following suggestions which have helped many of our members to access and use our site with greater success. 

Please Note: These recommendations are general solutions to the most common problems that may occur.  It is possible that some of them may not apply to your specific issue.  However, since these steps resolve many issues, we ask that you follow all of the steps suggested below.  If you still experience difficulties after following these suggestions, this process will still have helped to narrow the possible causes of the problem.

SUGGESTION ONE: ACCEPT COOKIES
Set your browser to accept all cookies.  Cookie files store small amounts of information on your computer, such as your username and password, what subscriptions you are allowed to access, your People I'm Looking For profile, etc.  These are important for allowing you to access all features provided by your membership on our site.  More specific instructions on how to do this can be found at:

[place URL here]

SUGGESTION TWO: VERIFY LOGIN INFORMATION
Make sure that you are using the proper username and password.  Often cookies (explained above) allow you to be automatically logged in on Ancestry.  However, if you used our site in the past and then logged out, you may have created another account, creating multiple cookies for our site.  If this is the case, you may be logged in to an incorrect account.  Manually logging out and then logging back in can make sure you are using the proper membership.  For more information on verifying your login information, please visit:

[place URL here]

SUGGESTION THREE: DISABLE SECURITY SOFTWARE
Temporarily disable any security software that might be blocking access to cookies on our website.  This would include programs such as GuardDog, WatchDog, CookieMonster, as well as some anti-virus programs.  Often, you can right-click on the icon for your software in your system tray (next to your Windows clock) and choose Disable or Exit from the menu that appears.  However, for your specific software, we recommend consulting the Help file or user's manual for exact instructions.

SUGGESTION FOUR: BROWSER VERSION
Make sure you have the most current and capable version of your internet browser.  For a list of recommended browsers, please visit the URL below.  If you do not have one of these browsers (or your version is not up-to-date), you may need to upgrade your browser to one of those specified.

[place URL here]

SUGGESTION FIVE: AVOID SAVED LINKS
Delete any saved URLs (bookmarks, favorites, shortcuts, history links, etc.) you have to various pages on Ancestry.  We frequently update pages on our site, and such saved URLs will often expire, so that they no longer function correctly.  Further details about bookmarks and favorites can be found at the following location:

[place URL here]

SUGGESTION SIX: VERIFY AVAILABLE CACHE SPACE
Clear your temporary Internet files and increase your available cache size.  Your computer has a specific amount of space allocated for storing certain information from pages you have previously visited.  Clearing these files will allow you to eliminate any incorrect versions of a page you tried to visit (such as if a temporary server error occurred) and provide space for further information to be stored on your computer.  Increasing the available size of this allows you to avoid certain conflicts that may occur with insufficient space.  Information on how this might be done can be found at:

[place URL here]

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Stephanie
Member Solutions
Ancestry.co.uk
http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/
(You will notice that all the URL links were empty; I think maybe Stephanie should have pasted the relavent links at the "[place URL here]" locations).

My reply...

Thank you for your reply.

I have followed your suggestions to no avail.

Further to my original post, I have discovered that it is only my saved searches of the "Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837" that can not be deleted; clicking on the "red X" for these result in no action.

If I click on the "red X" to remove any of my saved "England Census" searches, I am presented with a popup asking for confirmation.

This may be a problem with the javascript associated with the "red X" button.

Javascript error generated when trying to delete a saved "Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837" search:

"Error: missing ) after argument list
Source File: javascript:_deleteConfirm('Are you sure you want to remove Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837 containing Richard Arman from your Shoebox?','Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837 containing Richard Arman','/myancestry/ShoeboxPage.aspx?dbid=5967&recid=archer-s-9_dk-pc30091213&actn=del')
Line: 1, Column: 55
Source Code:
_deleteConfirm('Are you sure you want to remove Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837 containing Richard Arman from your Shoebox?','Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837 containing Richard Arman','/myancestry/ShoeboxPage.aspx?dbid=59"

Let's see where it goes from here. :-\

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Well at least you got a reply  ::)
I have noticed that ancestry appear to be re-vamping the site.
I am only subscribed to the U.K site but recently I am being shown American Census results.
It's a drag really as I only want British results , the original layout only gave a list of the U.K available censuses, now you have to go to a second page to find the list of British ones.
I think they have had so many negative comments, they are trying to improve the service; maybe they are still perfecting it  :P
Hope they sort you problem out
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 March 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Just has another thought. ::)
Have tried this cookie cleaner. ???
It was reccomended on Rootschat.
I have used it and my puter runs so much more efficiently now.
You will need to log on again to any sites that you don't log out of. I never log out at all. It get rid of old links so freeing up space.
I am not saying it will solve your Ancestry problem but it is worth a try.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
~~~~~~~~-------