Author Topic: Why can't I find 1st wife's death?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Why can't I find 1st wife's death?
« on: Wednesday 22 March 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
This has been a puzzle for months now - is anyone able to shed some light on this one please?

When William Darlow, born Bubbenhall 1878,  married Ethel Dilworth of Kenilworth by license at Coventry Registry Office in 1917 he was recorded as being a widower.

He was single on the 1901 census and I have found a marriage in 1903 for a William Darlow of the correct age but the marriage was in Market Bosworth - (so it could be a red herring).  Also, the bride had the same name as 2nd wife Ethel's cousin, Sarah Jane Ann Dilworth (living Coventry 1901), the bride's father's details are correct, but her age is given as 20 instead of 16  ???

I have trawled through BMD indexes but can't find any death record between 1901 and 1917.  I have also done searches to try and cover name variants/mis-spellings.

Would be grateful for any help.

Charlotte

GRIFFIN/GRAFFIN - Portglenone/Ahoghill Co.Antrim & Clydebank/Motherwell
NEESON - Co Antrim/Motherwell/Chicago
DARRAGH - Portglenone Co.Antrim
             ----------------------
DARLOW - Kenilworth/Coventry/Bubbenhall
(& South Warwickshire pre 1850)
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I find 1st wife's death?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »

Are there any kids recorded as being born to the 1903 Darlow-Dilworth marriage (from 1911 on the maiden names included).  Might narrow the time-fame?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 18:40 GMT (UK) »
The only possible death I could find was a Sarah J Darlow in JAS quarter 1917, in Coventry ref 6d 839 (I think, not too clear) but the age in the index looks like 38.
This one could well be worth pursuing to get the cert and see if the age is wrong, and if the informant is hubby William.

I checked the first year after marriage for births and there is an Ellen born O/N/D quarter 1903 in Coventry, but went no further with births,

But as I trawled deaths there was a Violet Iris, aged1 , in JFM quarter in Coventry.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Have done births 1903 - 1917: these are the Coventry ones:

Ellen OND 1903
Violet Iris JAS 1904 (died aged 1 as mentioned before)
Eveline JAS 1906.

So if 1st wife died 1917, he was left with 2 daughters age 14 and 11. Not so little as to warrant an immediate 2nd marriage to a cousin. I thought I might find he was left with several tiny children, or maybe a new born baby, which might explain his haste.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline and lizdb.

I hadn't found the Sarah J 1917 death! I shall certainly send for the certificate just to find out who she was! What I hadn't said was that William and Ethel married 11th September, so that's a bit of a shock if it was his 1st wife, it means he re-married within 3 months of her death :o  :o   I suppose it was wartime ! (William and Ethel were my grandparents)

I think I will probably have to send for the other birth certificates as well.  They may be other relatives as William had at least 3 Darlow uncles living in Coventry around that period and no-one has mentioned that he had daughters.......

BUT........

... family sources have always said that there was a son from this 1st marriage known to them as Billy. Again, I've searched and searched for Billy and found nothing ???  The only information I have to help is oral history saying that "Billy" was "a grown man" when Ethel's children (b1918-1926) were young.  This makes me think he must have been born before about 1910?

Any help on this please, would be wonderful! 

Thanks so much for the index search for Sarah J - I shall order certificate straight away!

Charlotte

----------------------
DILWORTH - Kenilworth

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 06 09:58 GMT (UK) »
One other Coventry death I found that I forgot to pass on to you in my last posting;
AMJ 1913 Edward Darlow aged 49 ref 6d 738

This could be an uncle, if you know there were some around at the time.

Of course, the Darlow children I found could be children of the uncles, rather than William's from a first marriage - they were before mother's maiden names were listed. I think you will have to fork out on certs to clarify. But, to me anyway, it seems one of those families it is worth doing the extra to get it all sorted!

Regarding 'Billy', I have a vague memory that going through the births there was a William Darlow somewhere. But I didn't note it because I only noted Coventry ones. Will have another look. If there is, and if he is son of William and first wife (looks like more expense on certificates, sorry!) then it might indicate that William and first wife were not in the Coventry ares throughout, and therefore the Coventry children I found are more likely to be daughters of the uncles.

Wow! lots of detective work - but soooooo satisfying when you get it all sorted!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 06 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Have re-visited births for 1908, 1909 and 1910. Sorry, time doesnt permit me looking at 1903-1908, and 1911-1917.
Even in those 3 years there are 4 William Darlows, who are possibles for your 'Billy' :

AMJ 1910 William Edward  - Warwick 6d 696

JAS 1910 William J - Biggleswade 3b 290

JFM 1909 William Henry - Poplar 1c 329

JFM 1908 William - Dudley 6c 131

I would suggest you trawl the other years (on Ancestry) and complete the list of 'possibles' before trying to investigate further.

The Biggleswade one is unlikely, as there seems to be quite a Darlow clan there.
My knowledge of the area is limited, but I would say the Warwick one may be most likely at this stage.

Another completely different idea. do you know when you grandad William died ? It would be worth looking for a will, as he could well have mentioned any surviving children from a first marriage, which my help tie things up.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Sandyq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 March 06 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have found a William Edward Darlow's birth registered- Warwick (which covers Bubbenhall) 6d 702 Sept 1902, which obviously means he was born out of wedlock,but would explain why he was grown up when the second family were born.
Looks like another certificate !

Regards
Sandyq
Yapp - Ludlow Shropshire
Rawlings - Shropshire
Tudor - Aston Birmingham
Rabone - Aston Birmingham
Clayton - Aston Birmingham
Phillips - Birmingham, Redditch
Bower -Sheffield,Boston,
Barnett- Birmingham
Elson- Birmingham
Walton -Birmingham, Solihull
Green - Birmingham
Maling - Birmingham
Cain - Birmingham
Cheetham - Sheffield
Sharratt -Burton on Trent
New- Hampshire, Coalville

Offline charlotteuk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 March 06 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much lizdb!

How do you find them and so quickly too?  I spent a lot of 1837 credits looking for "Billy" and all I came up with was a George William born in Rugby in 1908.  William Edward is a distinct possibility and I will send for the certificate!

Thank you also for finding Edward - the age at death fits perfectly for the youngest of my grandfather's uncles.  Another certificate to order!

I don't think there is much chance of finding a Will.  William was a "Road Contractors Labourer" when he died  in 1931. Shortly after this Ethel left Coventry with her children to live with her own widowed mother - which is when contact with "Billy" and his wife was lost.

Thank you once again for all your help it really is appreciated as this has been driving me nuts for ages! :)

Charlotte
             ----------------------
DILWORTH - Kenilworth