Author Topic: Cameras to avoid  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
Cameras to avoid
« on: Wednesday 22 March 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I am not a happy chappy >:(

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to my brother that I could do with a better camera to take snaps of places linked to the family and family graves etc when I go on my hols this year.
Very kind of him, he picked up a reasonably priced 5mp camera for me in the US. I live in the UK.
Unfortunately after three nights of struggling with it, it still refuses to transfer pictures onto my computer. I have tried the latest software downloads from the manufacturer. I have tried using just XP. The camera just will not let the pictures be copied into the computer. I have sent a couple of emails to Kodak to see if they are willing to help even though the warranty doesn't apply as I'm not in the US.
The camera is a Kodak C340 Easyshare (Easy my A***)

Anyway, rant over. Question is, what other cameras should I avoid when next I have saved up enough money to replace the complete waste of money above?

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cameras to avoid
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

What storage does it use?

What you need is an 'All in One' Card Reader. I bought one for about £8. You plug your card/stick or whatever into it and then connect it to a USB port and just copy the images directly to your computer.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Camera has 16mb internal memory and I have taken a single photo and tried to transfer it onto my computer. I have had various results ranging from nothing happening (mostly) to a complete crash (once).
I know that I could buy an SD card and a card reader and perhaps get round the problem but then again it is supposed to work without and I don't feel like spending more money and it still not working. I'd rather put the money toward a camera that does work as it should.
I doubt I'll ever he happy with this camera now, even if I find I've done something wrong. If a product has the word Easy in it's name it should be Easy to use.

Oh dear I'm ranting again.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll try not to bounce the camera off the wall, at least until Kodak reply to my emails.

Regards
Andy
Kellett - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 22:56 GMT (UK) »
If I were you I'd go to that friendly chain called J****ps on a quiet day and say you need help. If you get the right person, they can be very helpful. Buy a small pack of printing paper or something as an excuse ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Andy,
     Without the camera and accessories in front of me I couldn't say for sure but it sounds as though you may have a faulty docking station. I have spent a while looking at several reviews of the camera and it seems to be a good setup in total.
      I would be tempted to do as gadget says, take the whole job lot int a friendly store and ask if they can transfer from the camera to a computer. it would be a pity to have a good (apparently easy) camera not get used.

Denn

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denn

Thanks for replying. I'm calming down a bit now.

There isn't a docking station with it. It is supposed to transfer via a USB lead. I have an old Trust 2mp camera that works fine with its software, bought software and XP's wizard. It's just not good on quality pics.
Incidentally, Kodaks software hides the camera from XP so that under My computer it doesn't show up at all. XP can only show it when Kodak software is uninstalled.
A colleague at work has a similar computer set up to mine and an interest in digital computers I will give it to him and see if it is unusable on his set up. That should at least prove it is the camera that has a problem.
As Gadget said there are several add ons or cards/readers I could try but if the camera is faulty I may be throwing good money after bad - thats what is annoying me the most. Oooh I feel a rant coming on.
Time for a cup of tea and do something else.

Regards
Andy
Kellett - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:31 GMT (UK) »
As a matter of interest Andy, I hope you don't mind my asking, but how much did it cost?

Gadget

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

I don't mind you asking. It cost $175 but don't tell anyone else. I suppose with conversion rate that would be about £100 and yes there are some about £10 cheaper on ebay. I haven't mentioned them to my brother as he thought he'd done so well. He doesn't know it's not working either. Hmm hope he doesn't ask to see any pics from it before I've got something sorted out.

Regards
Andy
Kellett - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Well Andy, I think we ought to get it sorted for you one way or another :)

I see you've posted it on 'the lighter side' - i'd say it was pretty sad!
Gadget