Author Topic: tracing the rarity,s in Kirklisten  (Read 10789 times)

Offline twitter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tracing the rarity,s in Kirklisten
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 December 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mr. White
I have been tracing relatives in Scotland for some time and I have just stumbled onto your postings re: Rarity. The Rarities are extended relations but there is a Sinclair connection. Let me try and boil this down to a few simple sentences. Our James Sinclair married a Margaret Menzies in Lesmahagow in 1838, they moved to Glassford. James dies between 1841 and 1844 (no records for Glassford) but they had 2 children John in "39" and Elisabeth in "41". Elizabeth marries George Woodburn in 1861 and has 9 children. Margaret the oldest marries on the 29/12/ 1882 to a Arthur Mc Alpine Rarity a freestone quarrier. At some point they move to Verdun Quebec Canada. Arthur Rarity dies on April 22 1923 at 64 years of age and was buried April 24th 1923 in Mount Royal Cemetery Montreal Quebec Canada. What happened to Margaret Rarity I do not know. Via SP she didn't die in Scotland. Might you have any information on this branch of the Rarity's from Lanark?
I know its been a long time since you posted Rarity information but I though I'd ask.
Regards Twitter
scotland-sinclair, woodburn, crozier, shearer
ireland- kildare-murphy
northern ireland-giffen

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 December 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
     I have the 1881 census and have found the woodburns so I can send you the entry of the whole family if you send me an email (on my post previous to yours) But Arthur now there is a problem he does not show up anywhere even although he gets married to Margaret a year later . I also tried under Inverarity because some Rarities started useing this surname and some Inveraritys shortened it to Rarity but absolute no joy I looked under McAlpine but no joy but this name was probably his mothers maiden name as this was the norm then to give your son a middle name.

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 December 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have just found that Thomas Rarity Married Janet McAlpine on 26-04-1851 in Glassford so i will check the census again although it could be that they just never filled it in ???

This couple must be Athurs mum and dad but they just do not show up in the census for the whole of the UK ? yet they married in Glassford the same as the Woodburns and Arthur marries Margaret in 1882 so me can only assume they were out of the country hence why there is no record of Arthurs birth