Author Topic: FERRIER of Angus  (Read 71765 times)

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FERRIER of Angus
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 23:45 GMT (UK) »
My maiden name is Ferrier and been doing some research on my ancestors.
I’ve got two branches of Ferriers.
Father John Sutherland Ferrier born Kirkden 1918 - 1980 died in Arbroath m Christina Mitchell
Grandfather John Sutherland Ferrier born Kirkden 1886 - 1964 died Arbroath m Betsy Park
G Gfather Alexander Ferrier born Kirkden 1852 - 1932 died Montrose m Martha Sutherland
GG Gfather Andrew Ferrier born Farnell? 1818 - 1885 died Arbroath m Margaret Donaldson
?Farnell census records give Farnell as possible birthplace but can’t find a birth certificate.
Geneanet gives the possibility of James Ferrier born Craig 1789 and Mary Fraser being his parents but I can’t validate this.

Back to GG Grandmother Martha Sutherland
Her father
My GG Gfather John Lowe Sutherland m Maria Ferrier born Brechin 1821- 1877 died Marykirk
I can’t get much info about Maria - no sign of a birth certificate
There’s a possibility that William Ferrier born Balownie 1776- 1852 m Elizabeth Stot are her parents but I can’t validate this.

I think there was a fire at Brechin at one point and I wonder if that’s the reason there are no birth certificates for Maria and Andrew.

Don’t know if any of my Ferriers are linked to anyone else.

Angus.(paternal)  Ferrier, Sutherland, Donaldson, 
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Aberdeenshire Park, Lawson, Snowie, Bodie, Booth, Kesson, Ewan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Birth certificates did not exist until the start of civil registration in 1855.

Before that, the only records are the churches' records of baptisms, which sometimes but not always give the date of birth as well. However there are many gaps in the parish registers.

I think there was a fire at Brechin at one point and I wonder if that’s the reason there are no birth certificates for .... Andrew.
Highly unlikely, because the Farnell church records would have been in either Farnell or (after 1855) in Edinburgh and would not have been affected by a fire in Brechin.

As for Brechin itself, https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/detailed-list-of-old-parochial-registers-of-scotland.pdf confirms that the relevant parish register survives.

There are many reasons why a baptism record may not have survived, including
- the parents may have neglected to have the child baptised or to ensure that the baptism was recorded
- the parish clerk may have forgotten to record it
- the parents may have belonged to a different religious denomination; there was, for instance, an Episcopalian congregation in Brechin whose records are not on the Scotland's People web site

Scottish death certificates normally state the full names of both parents of the deceased.

Have you seen the death certificates of Andrew Ferrier and Maria Ferrier? If not, that is your next step. If so, what do they say?

Andrew Ferrier, aged 64, died in Arbroath in 1885, mother's maiden surname Fraser.
Maria Sutherland, aged 56, died in Marykirk in 1877, no mother's maiden surname indexed.

Both available to view at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.

I’ll have a look on the site later.

Apologies I was aware of civil registration stating in 1855 I now realise I should be saying birth records rather than certificate.

Angus.(paternal)  Ferrier, Sutherland, Donaldson, 
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Aberdeenshire Park, Lawson, Snowie, Bodie, Booth, Kesson, Ewan

Offline Nikki382

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 23 March 24 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Re. post #13 - hi other Lindsay - this might get confussing  ;D I haven't seen the bit about Ferriers on Scotland General - do you have a link?

Re. post #23 - Hi Martin - yep that is my family.  Ann Ferrier is my g/g grandmother.

New to this sorry. I see your grandmother is Ann Ferrier. Do you have any information on her maybe having a sister Mary Stewart Ferrier, later Fullerton. Parents David ferrier and Ann soutar. I am looking for information on my great grandmother Mary Stewart Smith.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 24 March 24 18:07 GMT (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the place to go.

Mary Stewart Ferrier, mother's maiden surname Souttar, was born in Dun in 1889.

Mary Stewart Ferrier married John Fullerton in Brechin in 1921.

Mary Stewart Ferrier, other surname Fullarton, died in Forfar in 1976, mother's maiden surname Souttar.

Go to the web site, invest in a few credits and use some of them to view the marriage certificate. It will tell you the names of the couple's parents including their mothers' maiden surnames. You can also view the birth certifictae but not the death online because it's less than 50 years ago.

There are 13 births of Ferrier children with mother's maiden name Sout(t)a/er. One is in 1871, which is too early, but see screenshot for the rest.

You can also view the original 1901, 1911 and 1921 census records of this/these famil/ies at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.