Author Topic: WEBSTERS of Crowan, Illogan, Camborne  (Read 8705 times)

Offline babic

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
WEBSTERS of Crowan, Illogan, Camborne
« on: Friday 30 January 04 01:26 GMT (UK) »
looking for someone doing research on websters from 1709 to present francis webster married ginifred blackwell 1737 had a son william in 1744 that married jane bennatts they had a son john that married elizabeth bray in 1804 and they had a son john that married mary mills in 1829 they in turn had a son named william that married grace mable hawkins from penzance,cornwall. some of the given names of the children are thomas,lavinia,leviah,caroline,grace, elizabeth,susannah,josiah,william,mary jane,mary,john. thank you for any reply :)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: websters of crowan,illogan,camborne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 08 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Francis Webster m. Jenifer Blackwell 30 Jan 1737 Crowan

do you have this marriage?

Francis Webster to Joan John 30 Nov 1776 Crowan

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Ken Rob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WEBSTERS of Crowan, Illogan, Camborne
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I may not qualify as mine only begin with Francis WEBSTER, born 1823 in Padstow.  I have several of his descendants down to the present, including a friend living here in California.  Her father survived the sinking of the Lusitania.

That tree is situated at http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=ivywebster

Perhaps we can exchange info?

Ken

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken.

A big welcome to Cornwall. I think I can help you.  ;)

Francis Peter WEBSTER was baptised 27 Sep 1822 Padstow parents William Francis and Sally. Father Mariner of Padstow.

Francis WEBSTER otp Bachelor = Sarah PAULL Widow by Banns 3 Aug 1821 Padstow. Both Signed. Witnesses names hard to read Richard Hawken/Hocken and William ?

James PAULL otp bachelor = Sally PETERS Spinster by Banns 3 July 1817 Padstow Both signed witnesses Wm Hancock and Patrick Ryan

Sarah and Sally are interchangeable names  ;)

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking further we have

John WEBSTER 17 Nov 1824 parents Francis and Sally father Mariner of Padstow

Lot of crossing out here - cant read what was crossed out

Henry Brewer WEBSTER 9 Mar 1826 parents Francis and Sally father Mariner of Padstow

Charlotte PAUL 26 Nov 1818 parents James and Sally father Blacksmith of Padstow

Sarah and these three children are found in Illogan in 1841

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Sarah appears in 1851 in Illogan at the home of her married daughter Charlotte (married to Albert LANGDON -mason) Sarah states she is 53 b Padstow

Sally PETERS baptised 23 Aug 1796 Padstow parents John and Jenny

John PETERS otp Bachelor = Jane BREWER otp Spinster by Licence 4 Sep 1788 Padstow Both signed witnesses Joseph (Trevathan) ? - I think the middle name is something like Trevathan, Surname ? and Jonathan Hodge

Jane and Jenifer are also interchangeable names. Certainly shows where Henry got his middle name from.  ;)

Offline Ken Rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 March 08 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Kris,

You're a peach!
Ken

Offline Ken Rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 March 08 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris or anybody with the answers.
The 1841 census shows Sarah (Sally) PETERS PAULL WEBSTER listed as Sarah WEBSTER with a daughter and two youngest sons.  "widow" has a line through it, leading me to believe that "widow" was referring to her first husband who deceased bef 1821.  The Websters seem to have history of working the maritime, so perhaps husband "William," (with a line through it on 1821 marriage records) Francis WEBSTER is absent for 1841 census, aboard ship somewhere.  He is definitely passed by 1851 census in which his wife is listed as "widow."   
Free BMD Death Index shows a Francis WEBSTER expiration recorded Q3,1847, Helston, Cornwall, which would fit the time-frame between censuses 1841 & 1851.  Would burial records show a man's wife and/or family?  How do I determine whether the 1847 Francis WEBSTER death is for the correct F.W.?
How do I discover the parents of Francis WEBSTER?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 March 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Burial records will not show that I am afraid, (age and residence) nor will the death certificate. Death cert will show age and residence along with the informant which may help but that is all.

Personally, I am pretty confident  he was deceased by 1841. Widow would not be referring to the first husband, that would not make sense. I feel she was widowed by 1841, possibly a lot sooner due to the lack of further children married 1821 three births 1822, 1824 and 1826 and then nothing. Yes she may have left Padstow and had more elsewhere after this but none showing on the census sort of makes me feel he had been dead for some time.

That line in the census is for occupation not marital status. We see this quite often in the census. Widow or Wife was entered but later crossed out as it was not an occupation but rather a marital status and did not belong there. (It is handy though that it was originally included) I do believe she was already widowed by then. Being a sailor of course he may have died anywhere I am afraid. I did not find burials in Padstow for either of her husbands.

As to the 1847 death. Unfortunately age was not included in the index at this time so you would need either the burial record or the death cert to get that. In 1841 we have 4 Francis Websters. Aged 25 in Bodmin, aged 10 in Crowan, and aged 6 and 8 in Illogan. In 1851 3 can be accounted for. The 10 year old son of Elizabeth from Crowan is missing. Crowan is in the Helston district  ;)

Likewise in the baptism entry I think the person entering the details probably the clerk made an error and crossed it out. Given the entries we have for him I do not think his name was William. With the baptism for Henry so much was crossed out and redone.