Author Topic: Raban/Rabone/Rawbone/Rathbone  (Read 3431 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raban/Rabone/Rawbone/Rathbone
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 17:23 BST (UK) »
Did you know that there is a Rabone Lane in Smethwick, and that there used to be a Rabone Hall, as well? I think it might have stood atsomewhere near the Junction of Cornwall Road and Rabone Lane.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline bus4547

• RootsChat Extra
  • Keep Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 April 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
hi there mezentia:   i am a rawbone on my maternal side.
ok, dealing with your particular group of families in that area can be confusing.  the reason: they were all children of the canal revolution.   the canals were cut between 1790 and 1850 and warwickshire was/is the hub for all the canals going n.s.e.w.    the four or five variations of the name ostensibly stem from the same core name: rawbone in warwickshire and gloucestershire.  they are the same tribe.  but when you do your research you must not separate them, each have their own line.  the four or five names virtually took over the canal transport biz from the hub out until its demise from 1900 to 1930.  Rabone of Rabone Lane was a major shareholder in the Birmingham Canal Co.  from being the same group of families (in your cadse) settled around Wolfamcote and Stockton the "canal people" broke their past agrigcultral holds and married and parented all along the canal routes.  They hd the church baptism or marriage as and where they stopped.   the names you mention:studley, alverchurch (a ten minute boat ride) and Wolverley are all en route canal points.  the same pattern of marriages and baptisms spun out from the birmingham/warwickshire hub to all points of the Midlands and even further.   Apart from the Rawbone name the other variations died in old Warwickshire by 1900 but became extended families in Birmingham particularly.   your rabone group stem from Aston Cantlow around 1780/90. 
I am giving you this background because i know it will help to near solve your problems.
come back to me with your specific problem and i think i can help.   bw john   ps keep the families separate and concentrate on the rabone name.  ps2:  jim hs bn very helpful. 
Samuel Rawbone b Wellesbourne 1893 with wife Elsie lived Birmingham, poss, Smethwick, before war.
worked on buses and trams.  hve compiled Rawbone tree back to 1650 now into 20th cent.  current relatives?  sam ws my uncle.

2. Family of John Hornsby and Catherine b c1807 m c1830 Leominster/Pembridge/Eardisland. Basket makers. then Birmingham 1900s.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 April 06 14:39 BST (UK) »
Slight confusion, I think - the Rabone family's nowt to do with me. I just happen to work in Rabone Lane and know that when we had some deep excavations done at our works, the industrial archealogists were all over the place looking for cellars, foundations, and you name it.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline bus4547

• RootsChat Extra
  • Keep Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
m: hi: is that a brummie nowt or a black country nowt!!! sorry the threads got a little crossed somehow and i aint going to try and unthread it.  rgds john
Samuel Rawbone b Wellesbourne 1893 with wife Elsie lived Birmingham, poss, Smethwick, before war.
worked on buses and trams.  hve compiled Rawbone tree back to 1650 now into 20th cent.  current relatives?  sam ws my uncle.

2. Family of John Hornsby and Catherine b c1807 m c1830 Leominster/Pembridge/Eardisland. Basket makers. then Birmingham 1900s.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Probably a Yorkshire nowt, picked up from the black sheep side of the family  ;)

David