Author Topic: ROBERTS IN WOLVERHAMPTON/BILSTON  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS IN WOLVERHAMPTON/BILSTON
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 October 04 16:46 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!

Though guessing she was a very late daughter or that Martha Roberts is her Grandmother not her mother as I originally thought - have to hotfoot it to the registry office for the birth certificate

Thanks a lot! x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 October 04 10:05 BST (UK) »
You are not going to belive this!

I was looking through some papers for something else and found my Grandmothers and my Grandfathers birth certificates

She was christened as Lily and her mother is listed as Martha Jane Roberts charwoman and the name for the father is left blank. On her marriage certificate it lists her father as John Roberts deceased and her name is listed as Lilian

Did her mother marry someone with the same surname after her birth?, is he a figment of her imagination? or is he related to her? ......

I have found a BMD number for a Martha Jane Roberts who died in the last quarter of 1901 aged 21 so did her mother die not long after her 1st birthday? This would explain the fact that she is not listed on the 1901 census and that she was infact being brought up by her Grandmother also called Martha

Problem is I have also found a Martha Roberts listed in the deaths of the 1st quarter of 1901 aged 53

I know my grandmother was born August 1900 so to be 9 months old the census must have been taken in May 1901 so surely Martha Jane would have been listed not Martha the elder

And I have found out where the surname Meers came into the mix - she was my Grandfathers mother Mary Ann. My dad had started the family tree off and accidently mixed the G Grandmothers surnames up when he wrote it down

Thanks for all your help its now shoved me a branch further up the tree now I just have to start looking for GG Grandad Roberts and see if I can shed any light on this mysterious John Roberts x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 October 04 16:19 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update for anyone else who is researching Roberts that may tie in to my bunch

I was very kindly sent a copy of the 1891 census by rutti tutti which list Thomas Roberts 52 Martha 45 Thomas 20 Hannah 18 Martha Jane 11 and Grandson William 4 months

If anyone wants a copy just IM me and I will forward it on

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 08:31 BST (UK) »