Author Topic: Monaghan from Armagh County  (Read 1241 times)

Offline martin3

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan from Armagh County
« on: Thursday 23 March 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for more information on William Monaghan, spouse's name unknown at this time, who lived and may have died near Clonlum.  William is listed in Griffith's.  There were at least five children James b. about 1827, Catherine, and my ancestor William Charles, two sons, William and Patrick were in England in the late 1890's.  I am unaware of there being any other children who land rights could have been passed on to.  It is known that James, Catherine and William Charles emigrated to the U.S.  I have extensive information on all of them.  However, I am very interested in tracking information for the father - William and his wife, as well as, the two sons living in Great Britain.

Looking over Griffith's Valuation I note that neighboring families are Fearon and Tole.  Someone from each of these families were witnesses at the marriage of William Charles Monaghan to Ann Cassidy.  The Cassidy family were also neighbors.  The landholder's name was Foxall.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan from Armagh County
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

What denomination was the Monaghan family? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher