Author Topic: Visiting Swansea, - Can anyone recommend?  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Visiting Swansea, - Can anyone recommend?
« on: Thursday 23 March 06 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I am planning to visit Swansea in May, with a cousin.
We are hoping to visit all of the places in Swansea where our fathers were born & grew up.

We're working to a fairly tight budget, & don't know Swansea. (It'll be my first visit there).

I was wondering if anyone on here could recommend a Hotel or B&B; which is fairly central, but reasonable pricewise & OK?

Many thanks, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Swansea, - Can anyone recommend?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 06 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly  :D

Back to "The Land of Our Fathers"  ;D Great to have a cuz to go with,

Travel Inn's are the same everywhere so you know what your going to get and there is one in the city centre -

Lookout for in the weekend papers  "posh" hotels doing price slashing offers, might be worth buying a couple this weekend and take a look, but if you see one you like, book quickly, 'cos the offers are always for a limited amount of rooms.

Sorry don't know about B&B's

Hope you have a great time
Wendi

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 06 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips Wendi!!

Cheers, Romilly. ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 06 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Most of the BB's are on Oystermouth road ( which further down  towards Mumbles is called Mumbles road). It's a long road.
That  road is absolutely full of them, there are  hundreds of them there ( well  I don't know how many, I've never counted them - but it always  looks like hundreds to me if you know what I mean  ;D).

I think they are relatively inexpensive if you go off season, which May is . Off season a lot of the rooms  are rented out to workers who are working on site in swansea  etc. (They used to do that , don't know if this is still the case).
 Summer time  ,July Aug  would be the most expensive, and most of them do fill up pretty quickly. If you drive down that road in winter  and spring there is vacancy after vacancy in all the windows. In peak times in the  Summer time they tend to get filled  up quick with all the tourists, and most of the signs outside them tend do say no vacancy

This one says it  is from 15 pounds , it's got a few pictures there of the rooms they have  and the views including county hall ( so  this one looks as if it's not too far away from one of the most important things - The archives! lol  ;D)
http://www.morlais-guesthouse.com/

If you put a search "oystermouth road  bed and breakfast"  ( and Mumbles road) into Google  you should come across  quite a few more. It's where a lot  of the BB's are in  Swansea. Sorry I can't recommend any one in particular, I've never stayed in one because my home is back there in Swansea,but most of them  always look tidy enough to me  from the outside

a few more
http://www.britinfo.net/bed-and-breakfasts/TDCVS10000.htm

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/swansea.html

Also the swansea tourist site which is a pretty good site  , they have a search page there for all sorts of accommodation in the areas : http://www.visitswanseabay.com/wheretostay/search.asp

Enjoy yourself  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 06 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,

Many thanks for all that info!

I shall spend the rest of the week checking it all out:-)

Cheers, Romilly. :)
Researching:

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
not a problem,  hope you have a good time
 :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 06 00:28 GMT (UK) »
also the swansea area is surrounded by caravan site's usualy very reasonable try googling these sites.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline sha61

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • the reed family (swansea)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 March 06 22:20 GMT (UK) »
 :) hi romily, great to hear your coming to my home town...
    if you want somewhere cheap to stay, your better off going for the b&b`s on oystermouth road.. which by the way is right nxt to st helens road.. close to all the conviences.. 
 and the llangyfelach area your intrested in is only a few miles out of town, it`s in a part of swansea, called morriston..
  if you get stuck whilst your in swansea, get in touch and i`ll try and help you out 
  best wishes sharon
smith.. reed.. williams.. collier.. griffiths.. swansea

manchester.. clark.. sugg.. roach.. knight

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanx Sharon, much appreciated, - I might take you up on that. ;D

I'm really looking forward to visiting Swansea, - just hoping that we manage to get round all of the places that we want to see!!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching: