Author Topic: Griffiths  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
That's right - that was 1871

There are too many William GRIFFITHs in 1851 and unhelpfully they are not giving the "right" place of birth.  There is one a servant in St Florence, but no way of knowing if that is the right one.

As for Jane - I think I can squash your CANTON theory (sorry!)

1851 census shows a Jane CANTON b 1834 Bosherston, a house servant in Stackpole Elidor.  She was the only one.

The best thing now would be to find a marriage (I know, I know) or the birth cert of one of the children.

Let me know if you come up with any other info.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:18 BST (UK) »
Cantor or Canton ?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Canton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
When you looked up the earlier birth, were you able to confirm that the mother's name was Jane?

I think there might be a second marriage involved here.

Back in a moment

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
There is just a chance that this is relevant - you would need to check out a death for Elizabeth to match, of course

1851 census    HO107/2476/625/22

William GRIFFITHS H M 22 - ag lab - Pemb Castlemartin
Elizabeth W M 26 - Pemb Rhoscrowther
John son 9 months - St Twynnels
Jane RICHARDS Mother in law W 46 - Rhoscrowther
James RICHARDS brother in law 11 - St Patrox
Mary sister in law U 11 - Pwllcrochan

Address: Orielton Cottage, Sunbridge Road, Monkton, Pembs

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
I don't know,  John is the 9th child, wouldn't there be other names like the ones before him ?  The age of William is about right 1829 but on the 1861 census William says he comes from St Florence but I know that they can change that to suit themselves.  I too found a William Griffiths on the Cenquest census for 1851 working as a Servant but like you I can't be sure.  I think I need to obtain the certifcate of Sarah, William & Jane's 1st child to see whats what.

If William was married to this Elizabeth then this John is not living with him in the 1861 census, would the in-laws have taken him to live with them ?

Questions and more questions, food for thought.

Offline gpaul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi arranroots,would it be possible for you to look at the 1851 census for llanginning,I'm searching for a David Griffiths don't know birthdate,i have his son Daniel born trelech 1836 married to Anne thomas june 1858 at llanginning church in the parish of llanginning.I have Daniel on 1861-71-81 census,Regards gpaul

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think I contributed to your other thread.

Can you start a new thread, please and paste the URL for the info you already have?

It is too confusing having it on Carino's thread!

Thanks

;)

Offline gpaul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that arranroots,getting rather confused ???