Author Topic: How much to push  (Read 834 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How much to push
« on: Friday 24 March 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Another of those dilemmas.  A relative of mine has made it her  mission to "collect" members of the family.  While that is a good thing, it has sometimes lead to problems.  I have "done" the family tree.  Recently I made contact, through GR, with the daughter of a cousin who the rest of the family had lost track of.  We have exchanged information by email, but I'm not pushing for contact details because I think that should come gradually.  However, my relative is now saying I should ask for her and her father's addresses so that she can contact them.  Has anyone else faced this situation?  :-\
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How much to push
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 06 15:41 GMT (UK) »
How about sending another e-mail to your cousin's daughter asking if she would mind if your "pushy" relative got in touch?  If she agrees then you could pass on her e-mail address to your relative who could ask for more information.  If she says she'd rather not then you can tell your relative this.  In either case it should get you out of the "piggy in the middle" situation.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Suttontrust

Giving out another person's details without their permission is a definite no-no.  Your relative needs to accept this fact.

Al's solution could work out, but I would offer two other options:

1)  tell your "missionary" relative that you are prepared to forward an e-mail to the long-lost cousin, - this would give her time to think about responding.

2) pass the GenesReunited username of "long-lost cousin" to the "missionary" and suggest she make direct contact.  This retains privacy and gets you completely out of the loop.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best.
Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 06 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those thoughts, Al and Philip.  Forwarding an email sounds a good solution.  Unless my relative, knowing the city,  has already found this cousin's address - wouldn't be surprised. 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.