Author Topic: Collecting other people's relatives.  (Read 3967 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting other people's relatives.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 March 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Good tip Bob, I must have missed that.

Just need to get away from RC long enough to start!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 March 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Berlin Bob for  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,31779.0.html

Will have a go at this.

[There are now 2 more pieces of paper on the floor that i've just printed off with B.Bs tip!!!]
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 March 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
So I wasn't wrong with this tip then  ;D
If you have all your paper work in ring binders, files, boxes, or whatever (floor ?) then label them clearly.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 March 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have another little collection that is 'vaguely filed' - results of look-ups for other people ;) Interestingly though, there are no duplicates there and no connections with any of my lot except that they might have lived in broadly the same area - like the world  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 March 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Am 99% certain on all mine post 1837, but before that!! Well, its just a pure guess on half of them. For example, just because "John Smith" married in a certain place, whos to say that hes the same one that was born there at approximately the right time??!! He could have been born the other side of the country for all I know! (Most of my ancestors moved around a lot!)  ::)

The only ones I am confidant on are the ones I can find on censuses and certificates

:-\ :-\ :-\

Catherine   :)

Oh dear.  How this rings a bell with me!!!  I have so many very common names, and as Catherine says, it is often guesswork once you get back past civil registration!!!  :(  :(

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 March 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
The problem I have is that there is this niggle in the back of my mind that says to me how can I be sure that one of mine is really one of mine anyway.  Even after seeing parish registers I am still not sure with some, what if it just happened to be someone with the same name.

Kerry :( :( :-\

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:15 BST (UK) »
HI Kerry

This game is all probabilities, really. It's just that before about 1800 - 1750, you just have to decide how much money you'd put on them to win :) :) :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 March 06 18:52 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Kerryb
what if it just happened to be someone with the same name.

Funny you should say that
  - some days I wake up thinking "Am I really me, or just someone with the same name ?"

Bob (I think ?)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
Bob

That reminds me of a game my sister and I played when were children.

When I was seven my parents decided to sell our house and move across town, only 2 miles but to us it seemed like the other side of the moon.  We had lived in a close with lots of children and we left all those friends behind.  Mind you we still saw them at school each day.

Anyway we both decided we were having the same nightmare and that was the day it started and we used to tell each other things would be ok when we woke up and got out of the nightmare and we used to tell each other how our lives would have carried on in the real world.  As we got older and even now we sometimes say to each other what's happening in the real world then.

So I am still in this dream that has now been running for some 33 years. 

Who am I?

Kerry :-\ :-\