Author Topic: Collecting other people's relatives.  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting other people's relatives.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
So, what is the REAL world? Think I missed it ??? ??? ???

Gadget

(see I knew where you'd been ;D )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Are you following me?

Kerry :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:37 BST (UK) »
Just went down to check the food Kerry ;D

I arranged a bash  last year of all the descendants of one set of grt grandparents - I thought we might get 20 - we had nearly 100 turn up - and they were all related to me ;D. And that's just the ones who came and one set of grt grandparents. I worry about how many rellies I do have :-\ :-\ :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean Gadget, I have had so many emails from people related to my maternal grandfather's line and they tell me of others who haven't contacted me. 

But then when you think about a set of great grandparents who might have 10 children who might have 10 children each who might have had say 6 children each.

Get my drift?

I expect if we went far enough back all rootschatters would be related.

Kerry (what a thought!) :o

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 March 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Well, maybe the left handers and the psychics are :-\
Spect we'd be thrown out of the villages or else put in the ducking stool :o

Gadget

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 March 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Now there's a thought perhaps we should start a thread about anyone finding a witch in their background. 

I'm sure I had a few, I can tell the sex of a baby before they're born.  I gave up after getting about 35 correct out of 35!!!

Kerry

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
I had a marriage of a Smith to a Spittle.  I got very attached to the Spittle line and started searching the Spittle family, only to find out it was the wrong family - It was a Smith and a Jackson instead.

It doesn't bother me too much because there's often enough information for me to find out what I have done was wrong, and for me to be able to correct it.

The way I see it is: The worst place you can go wrong is at the start.  Once you find your ancestors on the 1901 census, it is generally plain sailing.

Kerry, my GGG Grandfather had 9 children.  3 I have not been able to trace, 1 seems to have emigrated, so I probably know of only half his children.  The rest had around 10 children each.  Suprisingly though, I have not been able to find anyone related to that side of the family.  For all I know there could be literally thousands of people descended from him!

Andrew

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:44 BST (UK) »
Andrew

That is one of the best things about this game, some lines you pick up, someone has been there before you and you just check their information, then other lines are completely fresh and you do all the work.

I have a couple of lines like that, including my dad's paternal line and it has been blood, sweat and tears all the way.  I have got to early 1800's, Ireland and that is it.  Stop.  But considering how many children in each marriage you would think someone out there can also claim this family.

Kerry

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, if only, Kerry!

I shouldn't complain, as I have found distant cousins in two of my family lines.  But there are other mysterious lines where I would give anything for a cousin to come out of the woodwork, and provide some of the missing information!!!  8)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland