Author Topic: The Inkerman Baily Puzzle??  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Tidespring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Inkerman Baily Puzzle??
« on: Friday 24 March 06 19:39 GMT (UK) »
A Marr. Cert I have for Elizabeth Clark and George Langley -16 May 1874 at Llanhileth started the hunt for John Clark the father who was a Collier.

A census return for 1881 shows George and his wife Elizabeth in Aberbeeg, Llanhileth with her birth place(1856) as Aberystruth.

Assuming a mid-1820's birth for John Clark, the 1871 Aberystruth census turned up a John Clark b.1828 with daughter Elizabeth b. 1856 except that she was a stepdaughter called Bailey.(RG10/5318/54/9
A brother, Jakerman(sic!) Clark was shown as born 1860 in Risca.

The 1861 search for Bailey showed that in Risca a family with Elizabeth Baily b.1856 was there and a brother named Incerman(sic!) Baily b. 1860 was part of the family. (RG9/4025/4/4).  Lo and behold, a lodger called John Clark b.1827 was also shown.

Things seemed straightforward at this point until trying to confirm Elizabeth’s birth in the registers of 1856.  It was then I stumbled across Inkerman Baily in the 4th Quarter at 11a 96 at Abergaveny.

Now 2 cencuses (or should that be cencii?) show Inkerman born 1860   -- a register of births show an Inkerman Baily born 1856 but none in 1860.

How many Inkerman Bailys can one expect in mid-nineteenth century South Wales????

NOTE – The battle of Inkerman was 1854.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tidespring

Jenkins-Pem
Langley-Som
Nation-Dev
Woolmer-Scot

Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Inkerman Baily Puzzle??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It might be possible to work out when he was born by collecting all his census entries and those of his siblings.

For example, in 1881 he says he was born in 1859.  His sister Pamela was born in 1858, so presumably his brother-in-law thought/ knew that he was younger than her?  The 1861 census certainly bears this out.

Is it possible that he was registered as CLARK?

;)

p.s. since the actual relative is Elizabeth, it might be more logical to find her by her age at marriage?  does the cert say?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Tidespring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Thanks for the prompt response.  I did see him with his sister Pamela but did not add it to my tale.

The age given for Elizabeth on the cert, is "of full age".  She might have been telling porkies since it seems she was only 18. 
Perhaps I am following a wrong trail but all other avenues seem closed to me at present.  Hence the request for ideas.

Regards

Tidespring
Jenkins-Pem
Langley-Som
Nation-Dev
Woolmer-Scot

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 March 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
The safe answer to any question about how many people with the same name can there really be in anyone area at anyone time is always

'at least one more than you expect'.

Birth registration 1859 December quarter Newport M volume 11a page 188
Inkirman Bailey

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 March 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Llongyfarchiadau Valda!!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Tidespring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda!

Bless your eagle eyes.  Thanks for that - I will follow and see where it leads.

Regards

Tidespring
Jenkins-Pem
Langley-Som
Nation-Dev
Woolmer-Scot