Author Topic: St. Patricks, Navan Road  (Read 40928 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
St. Patricks, Navan Road
« on: Friday 24 March 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone out there know anyone with any knowledge of ST Patricks Home around 1935 ?

Erin21
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ST PATRICKS NAVAN ROAD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin,

Decades ago when I lived in Dublin I often passed St. Patrick's Home.

I am doing a bit of searching on the web for you....so far, I have come up with:
http://users.erols.com/bcccsbs/bass/new_25magd.html

"She was born in St Patrick's Home for Unmarried Mothers on the Navan Road in Dublin. Her mother was one of thousands who found herself pregnant and unmarried in the 1940s, her family unable to meet her needs. St Patrick's at this time had 500 babies, it was severely overcrowded. Separated at eight months, Kathleen and her mother lived parallel lives in religious institutions. She describes a childhood ``of distance and denial'' and then spending all her life trying to get a profile of a relationship between herself and her mother."

DUBLIN, Nov. 21 — Everyone of a certain age in Ireland knows about the Magdalene Asylums, where women who offended the country's moral code were sent to live, and sometimes to die, in disgrace.

When Charles Oliver was growing up in rural County Tipperary, a friend of his family disappeared into such a place in a cloud of shame after giving birth out of wedlock. But it was not until a recent evening that Mr. Oliver, 59, began to learn what really went on behind the locked doors of the Magdalene homes, which took in 30,000 women over the decades until the last one finally closed in 1996.

Emerging from a showing here of "The Magdalene Sisters," a film written and directed by Peter Mullan about the casual cruelty and commonplace despair in the homes, Mr. Oliver was stunned, and sad.

I remember recently seeing three "Magdalene Girls" being interviewed on telly when the above film previewed....the girls went through a tough time.

Hope that this helps.

Joe
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Joe

Thanks for the information. Yes I understand all this. The person I am researching for was abandoned in this home by her mother. She has spent her life looking for her. Time is running out. I have found her mothers birth place but sadly her mother seemed to disappear into oblivion after leaving. Thanks again for your help.

Erin21
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline gmack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
http://www.adoptionboard.ie/index.php

I am not sure if this will help

Regards
McKevitt, Shannon, Dunphy, Allaroin, Rippleton, Martin, RIC, DMP, 7 Batt Royal Irish Rifles 1914 - 18.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
gmack

Thank you I shall investigate further. My friend was adopted for a while and badly treated so was returned via social workers to St Philomena's Stillorgan.  Little information seems to be available about this, in fact nothing has been forthcoming. Seems to be a lot of secrecy about a lot of things !!!! Thank you for your help. If you ever happen to come across the name of Catherine or Kathleen Butler Born 06/12/1909 living in Dublin in 1935( then vanished )without trace please let me know .

Erin

Offline gmack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

this site might be better
http://www.adoptionireland.com/

wish you luck

regards
McKevitt, Shannon, Dunphy, Allaroin, Rippleton, Martin, RIC, DMP, 7 Batt Royal Irish Rifles 1914 - 18.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
gmack

Thanks again

Erin

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 19:45 BST (UK) »
I was wondering would any one know where I might find some old photographs or postcards of St Patricks Navan Road, I have only managed to find one link on the net.

Erin

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 November 06 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Erin,

This address may be useful to you.

St. Louise Adoption Society
1st Floor,
Park House,
North Circular Road ,
Dublin 7.
01 – 8387122
Previous address: 1 James' St. , Dublin 8.
Holds records for:
Dublin Health Authority / Dublin Board of Assistance
1 James' St. , Dublin 8
St Patrick's Home, Navan Road , Dublin 7

All the Best, Chris