Author Topic: St. Patricks, Navan Road  (Read 40941 times)

Offline cathy kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patricks, Navan Road
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Erin,Its been a while since I posted.I still have had no luck finding the d.o.b for my Grandmother,whom was in St.Patricks on the Navan Road Dublin in 1931 with my Mother.When you helped your friend did she find her Mothers d.o.b,and if she did where did she get it from.I tried the hospital where my mother was born under the F.O.I.act but had no joy.Thanks Cathy Kelly

Offline mayhem15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 July 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry to go slighty off topic, i was adopted out of St patricks Mother and baby home in 1974.

I am currently researching this home mostly to do with the vaccine trials and whether they were not stopped in 1973 as some reports suggest.

All of the records have now been moved form St louises Adoption society, or are being shared with the  new records management unit. I was informed of this a few days ago.

I am really interested in whether the vaccine trials stopped or not as i know of one family member and another family friend that was there that had bad reactions.

I am residing in Australia now, but if i get any information about earlier years at this home i will post it here.

Oh i have  read all the reports in the child abuse commission and i really feel for the people that have never really been satisfied with the aspect of the commission.

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
I am deseparately trying to find my birth mother. She was in St. Patricks Navan Road from February 1966 until July 1966 (she was supposed to be there until August but I was adopted early). If there is anyone out there who was in St. Patricks at the same time as my mother would they contact me as I would love to know if they remember her. The name on my birth cert doesn't appear to be correct.  I have her name (real or not) and a little bit of information about her.  If you think you might be able to help, no matter how small, please get in touch. Thanks x

Offline Dreaweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I did a quick google on St Patrick's navan road and came upon this forum so decided to register as I was myself adopted from here in 1975.
I have never had much interest in opening a can of worms but since I have had my own children and I see the resemblance of me in them , the curious soul in me started. Still not sure how far I wanna take this yet , what sort  of contact I would like to have . Got in touch with barnardos who are sending out some forms to fill in as I don't the agency that was used and don't want to ask my mother as I am sure it will bring up history that maybe does want to be uncovered.
Any tips or advise , should I open up a new thread as I don't wanna take up someone else's thread with my info, many thanks again look forward to hearing from anyone n regards.

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
To find out which adoption agency handled your adoption you need to write to the Adoption Authority of Ireland, Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4 (you might want to check this address!). Adoption Rights Alliance have a website www.adoptionrightsalliance.com which will give you lots of information. Alternatively on facebook there is adoptionrightsalliance and also beyond adoption ireland. You might like to check these out. Hope this is of some help to you. :)

Offline Dreaweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for ur reply , I have sent in the forms to find out which agency was used.
More interested in people's experience in actually tracing there birth mother and to what extent did they have to go to and was it positive , thanks agin for replying

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
I traced my birth mother myself last year. It was an emotional roller coaster. The end result was that she was disgusted that I found her and didn't want anything to do with me. But I now know where I come from, who I am related to (on my birth mother's side as she says she does not remember my father's name) and have some medical history. I have two half brothers as well. At one point in my life I owned a house 5 mins away from one of my half brothers, my uncle and grandmother. They now live only 25 mins away. I am in the town regularly. But everyone deserves to know where they come from, if only to know who to stay away from. The last thing you would want for your children is for them to meet someone, fall in love and find out they are related by birth (which has happened). Good luck if you decide to search. Whilst I always say to people to go through 'the system' as my birth mother said she didn't want contact the social worker closed my file with me knowing very little so that is why I did my own search. Do not expect anything to happen quickly, most letters take 12 weeks to be answered so it is a long road.

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Just to say as well that for me I had traced 9 possible women when I got a bit of good luck and finally found my birth mother. For some it's a simple straightforward process. They go into the GRO and get their birth certs and trace easily but for others they are still searching 15, even 20 years on.  They just want to know. It's not going to be easy and you will need people there for support and advice. There is an informal gathering on Saturday at 4.00pm in Dublin (The Goat Grill in Goatstown, Co. Dublin). All are welcome if you feel you might like to listen to stories and also learn what we are trying to do to bring new legislation in for information and trace.

Offline Dreaweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I'm actually not going to be round Saturday I'm down in limerick for the match but thanks for offer, very kind, maybe u could let me know about the next one, so did it work well for you