Author Topic: St. Patricks, Navan Road  (Read 40930 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patricks, Navan Road
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Dreamweaver
Good luck to you and I hope you have success.
I visited Ireland many times on my friends behalf. There are a lot of closed doors in Ireland. You just have to keep knocking!
My quest took many years. I found this site very very useful , wonderful helpful people.
If you are ever in Dublin take a stroll to the Northern Area Health Board, Child care services Park House North Circular Road. Dublin 7
I went there as the records are kept there. I spoke to a very nice person called Frances Melia. she was very helpful to me.
Best wishes
Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 26 May 11 08:59 BST (UK) »
Just to remember that while the records of some adoption agencies are at Park House you will not be allowed access to those records. The most you will get is non-identifying information only. The law in Ireland has not changed for 59 years. We are still not allowed to see our adoption files.

Offline THERESA01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ST PATRICKS NAVAN ROAD
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
hi there did you find out any info on st pat navan road my grand mother was born there and i finding it hard to get birth cert for her she was born in 1935. *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gfmason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Theresa. If you know the date of birth of your grandmother you could go into the GRO yourself and obtain her birth cert. The website www.adoptionrightsalliance.com as a section on tracing and is quite informative. Having spent 9 years searching on and off I finally met my birth mother on the 2nd August 2011. She gave me an hour of her time and then told me to go. She was very involved in the catholic church and had an image to upkeep within that church. Her loss I guess. But never give up searching.

Offline THERESA01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
hi gfmason,thank you for that info ,i have only got the year she was born she past away on the 10th of feb 1987.ive got a death cert for her ,im sorry to hear your news i think it takes alot of bravery to do what you did ,because you dont no what the out come will be ,and YES it is your mothers loss ,i wish you every happyness ,theresa ,*.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Cliona

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 April 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was just wondering does anyone know what it was like for children growing up in st.patricks home on navan road from 1947 till the late 1950s. My grandmother was born there and lived there until she was 11 or 12. I've read a lot about what it was like there for mothers but not much about the children. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Cliona

Offline AuroraC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 21 February 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find information on my grandmother, who was brought to Liverpool to give birth in 1955, but I think she spent some time in St. Patricks in 1954/5. Does anyone know how to begin such a search? I'm not looking for specific contacts but mostly medical histories etc. Cheers :)

Offline MDavz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 17 May 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
I was a student midwife in St James in 1980 & 81 and remember many of the St Pats girls coming in for their deliveries but cannot recall any names. What I do recall was that we (students) cared very much for them in whatever way we could (as did the qualified midwives) as we were so close in age and their situation could have been ours (well, some of us) due to the attitude to pregnant single girls at the time. We did our best to help & support them through labour - laughed & cried with some. Most went back to St Pats with their baby. However I can recall one poor girl who had to leave her baby in hospital due to illness (something simple) and knew baby was being placed for adoption & she would never see baby again - it was heartrending and we just hugged her & cried with her. It was such a different time - it was just accepted that that was the way things were & there was no option or support to raise a child alone. Even though we talked a lot to the girls I cannot remember any tales of being mistreated in the home.
This really is just to say that if you were born in these years in St James, your Mum would have had very good care and kindness as did the new arrivals. Wishing you all happiness and peace in your searches. X

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 18 May 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Now is the time with the upcoming elections to really press these future government candidates who will be knocking at your door canvassing.The so called Freedom of Information Act what a laugh they only let you know what they want you to know not what you want to know.
They should be bombarded with questions relating to this topic and watch them squirm and try and to get around it,tell them you are not interested in their false promises on other matters but try and provoke a response on this topic and tell them to come back when they can change it and put it right.
The Government and Church are supposed to be separate it looks like Dev's little legacy of Holy Catholic Ireland still lives on and its damn near time for change and a big issue made of it.
I was born and raised a catholic but no longer practice due to the hypocrisy uncovered in the last twenty years or so.
Sorry to go on so but my heart bleeds for these poor unfortunates who are being stifled by this administration.