Author Topic: Lord Mayor of Chester  (Read 1878 times)

Offline pam191070

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lord Mayor of Chester
« on: Friday 24 March 06 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello all I was told that you might be able to help me I am doing a family Tree and I have come across a Lord Eaton he was Mayor of Chester in 1856/57 can you confirm this for me and can you please be so good as to guide me to how I can obtain more info on that family.I think they had some thing to do with the making of  beer  and that they owned a lot of land in Chester
Thank you
Pam xx
Carter - Cattrell -Lee -Jones-Badley -Pinch any where on gods good earth

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Mayor of Chester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does he have a first name ?

There was definitely a Peter Eaton who served as Lord Mayor of Chester 1857-1858, he was also an Alderman of Chester in the 1860 directory, he was a brewer in Northgate St and also had a fire assurance business there as well.

Don't think he was ever a Lord though ? But there would be no doubt that he owned land or houses, most people with any money at that time would invest in property.

He was born in Chester c1807 and married a Jemima Smith at St Oswalds Backford 14/Nov/1844, I think he or she may have been married before, the 1851 census shows him with a 10 years old daughter Sarah Ann.

He died in Chester in 1863, a copy of his will is available from the http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline pam191070

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank  you  your  a saint .
Regards
Pam xx
Carter - Cattrell -Lee -Jones-Badley -Pinch any where on gods good earth

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 06 02:00 BST (UK) »
hello again

An even older inn, the White Bull, mentioned in 1642, was incorporated into the Golden Falcon in 1752. Assembly records show that a Row at the Hope and Anchor, four doors down from the Falcon, was enclosed in the early eighteenth century. By 1772, this former Row had become a vinegar manufactory until George Eaton bought and eventually demolished all the properties on the site to build his brewery. His son, Peter Eaton expanded the business, altered the stables to take more fermenting vessels and sunk a 33 metre well. In 1849, he was given notice by the council to control the smoke coming from his furnaces. He served as Mayor of Chester in 1856-7.
We have been informed that, around 1973- long after its demolition- the sitting room from the Golden Falcon was re-erected in the beautiful Ness Gardens on the Wirral. It is said to be an interesting structure, roughly circular,which stands approximately 2-2.5 metres tall. Where the old stones had lain during the intervening years is anyone's guess..
Eaton's Brewery eventually took over the Kelsterton and St. Winnifred's (Holywell) breweries and the company was bought out in 1864 by Henry Ford, Frederic Gunton and William Kelly, who formed the Northgate Brewing Company in 1889. They had 'bottling stores, wine and spirit vaults' at 7, Foregate Street and malt kilns on the east side of Lower Bridge Street and owned pubs throughout Cheshire and North Wales.
An advertisment in the Cheshire Observer of May 1882 stated "Northgate Brewery: March brewings of pale and mild ales and porter from one shilling per gallon". If only...
The brewery was again taken over, in 1949, by Warrington-based Greenhall Whitley, who closed it down twenty years later and the buildings were demolished.
Archaeological investigation of the brewery site conducted in the early 1970s revealed evidence of Roman rampart buildings, an intervallum road that ran inside the wall and the foundations of barrack blocks.
Also uncovered were many cellars and foundations dating from the14th to the 19th centuries. Should you wander round to the main entrance of Centurion House, via Fireman's Square, you will see set into the pavement the attractive mosaic design- shown here- that was formerly set in the old brewery office doorway in Northgate Street.

hope this helps
s.g.d.