Author Topic: Look up Brigend 1861  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Ladyfing

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Look up Brigend 1861
« on: Saturday 25 March 06 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what county Brigend was in, in 1861 so I have placed my request here. Apologies.

Does anyone have census for Brigend in 1861 and are able to do a search for Johannah Connolly (any other var.) who was a babe in arms (born 1860), when the census was taken? Mother possibly Catherine/Kate Connolly and may be other older child or children in the household. Any connection to Cork, Ireland too?

Grateful thanks if anyone can help here.

Debbie

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Brigend 1861
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Bridgend is in Glamorganshire.
How sure are you of the birth date of 1860?

There are quite a number of possibilities in the 61 census with all variants, and spelling mistakes  of the surname Connolly , plus the possibility of the miss-spelling of the name  Johannah too in the census. There seems too many for me to look through them all

Have you got her in any of the later censuses such as the 71 or 81, plus any of the siblings names, so it can be narrowed down a bit ?

Here is one  of the first  ones I've come across around  about that date ( but three years out):
 "Johana Conoley" born 1857 in Newcastle Glamorgan, reg district Bridgend.
Head  ( the mother)of household is a Mary Conoley(widowed) birth place Ireland, this  Johana's other siblings are  Catherine  1854 ,Cornelius  1848,John Waling who is grandson of Mary all born in Newcastle(Bridgend) . The  other children who are Thomas 1846 and Mary 1842 were born Ireland

RG9/4078 , reg district Bridgend, parish Newcastle ,folio 17 page 28

I hope that is of some help :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u