Author Topic: Labelling Old Photos  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Labelling Old Photos
« on: Saturday 25 March 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am going to collect a "box full" of old photos from a distant relative - who is "not into this family history lark"

I would like to glean as much information from him/them as possible - how should I go about this?

Small numbered sticker on the back of the photo - and list any details supplied in notebook?

Quite excited - never had a box of photos like this!!  8)

Any other advice welcome - remembering the first paragraph above!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Labelling Old Photos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
No stickers, please!!!  :o  ;D
Use a soft pencil, a 2B is ideal.  Write a number very small in a corner of the back of each photo.  Then index the info according to the number on the photo.
Don't forget to store them nicely once they're all indexed!  How exciting - I once had a "box full" given to me, I still love thinking back on that moment when I opened it and found all those faces I'd never know.  I hope you enjoy them!  :)
Prue

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
No stickers, please!!!  :o  ;D
Use a soft pencil, a 2B is ideal. 
Prue

Thought that as I was typing it - but also though it would get a better resonce left in!!  :o

Don't forget to store them nicely once they're all indexed - and how do I do that? With the Acid free photo album someone bought me?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thought that as I was typing it - but also though it would get a better resonce left in!!  :o
Cheeky!  :P

Don't forget to store them nicely once they're all indexed - and how do I do that? With the Acid free photo album someone bought me?

Well I think that would do nicely ;)

Prue

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 06 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thought that as I was typing it - but also though it would get a better responce left in!!  :o
Cheeky!  :P
Prue

Sorry about that - but it worked  :o :o :o

Now I know my next question is only answerable by me - but in what order do I put the photos - time - place - name??

By the way how do you get 2 seperate quotes to appear??

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
Two separate quotes:  click on the quote button like you do normally, and once the quote with <quote> html markers is in your message window, separate it into however many bits you want.  Then copy and paste the top quote marker (the one with all the info) above each separate bit.  Go back and copy and paste the end marker </quote> at the end of each bit.  Type in any text you want between the quotes and voila!  Bob's your uncle etc.

How you index your photos is up to you.  I tend to do it by family and then by year.  :)

Prue

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
How you index your photos is up to you.  I tend to do it by family and then by year.  :)
Prue

Well that will do for a start - thanks  8)

I know my next question is only answerable by me

Which is what I thought!!  ;D

I think that should be 2 quotes as well - thank you!!    ;)

Cheers

Keith

P.S. And what's this about Berlin Bob being my Uncle - which census told you that!!  :o :o :o

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 06 07:52 BST (UK) »
Brother maybe, but I'm too old to be his uncle  ;D

Keith, you can also do it this way:

click on the BCC quote tag (bottom line, second from right)
that gives you this [ quote][ /quote]
scroll down the page and mark and copy the bits of text you want to quote
place your cursor between the ] and [ brackets and copy it in
e.g.
P.S. And what's this about Berlin Bob being my Uncle - which census told you that!!

and if you want to accredit it, then write ' author=Keith' between the [quote and the ]
e.g.
Code: [Select]
[quote author=Keith]P.S. And what's this about Berlin Bob being my Uncle - which census told you that!![/quote]
which gives you:
Quote from: Berlin-Bob's Nephew
P.S. And what's this about Berlin Bob being my Uncle - which census told you that!!

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Keith, you can also do it this way:
Bob

Thanks Dad  8) 8)

Author= Prue
 I tend to do it by family and then by year.

Thanks Mum Prue  :o :o

Cheers

(a young thinking) Keith

Has Bouncing Emails