Author Topic: THOROGOOD/THURGOOD Burial Lt. Thurlow?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Anderley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOROGOOD/THURGOOD Burial Lt. Thurlow?
« on: Saturday 25 March 06 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  Hopefully there is a kind soul who might have access to the burial registers of Lt. Thurlow or Haverhill or offer assistance in finding my gggrandparents - Thomas and Susan Thurgood/Thorogood who disappeared after the 1851 census.

Thomas was 56 (born 1795) and Susan was 64 (born 1787) in Haverhill, Suffolk and their journey in life has them in Haverhill, Lt. Thurlow and Carlton-cum-Willingham, Cambridgeshire with connections to Great Bradley. 

They were living  beside their son James Thurgood in Carlton Green, Cambridgeshire in 1851 but both do not appear in any census after, so I'm assuming they died. If anyone can help or advise, I would very much appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Lesley

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: THOROGOOD/THURGOOD Burial Lt. Thurlow?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

As you do not know exactly where Thomas and Susan are buried, it might be simpler to find their deaths in the GRO indexes and send for the certificates.  This would give you a much better idea as to where they may have been interred.

The complete GRO indexes are now available online free of charge at Ancestry.co.uk.  You would need to check the images year by year, just as you would if you were going them at a record office.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Once you have the necessary GRO references, you can order certificates online at the GRO.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anderley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this advice, but I can't find them in free bmd or ancestry either.  Unfortunately there are too many iterations of spelling!  I was hoping that someone had the National Burial Index and could do a quick look up.

Now that I'm revisiting all of my Thurgood research, I'm seeing that in 1851 census they were living with a son Thomas Thurgood in Carlton (next door to other son James as I have mentioned), but another search in ancestry census's don't show him either.  I'm wondering if they left the country on some scheme....

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 06 21:31 BST (UK) »
Had a quick search through the Suffolk Burials Index.
Sorry - couldn't find them.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Anderley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 04:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave!  I really appreciate that.  But *heavy sigh* though....

Offline Anderley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 02:33 BST (UK) »
Would there be any mention of them in the Burials in Cambridgeshire around Carlton?  Risbridge?  I see 2 Thomas Thorogood's died in Risbridge - 1 in 1851 June 12 292, 1 in 1857 March 4a 244.  Many thanks! 

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry Anderley  :(

Risbridge is the name of one of the ancient Hundreds of Suffolk (they were like a rural district council).

The Risbridge area was created 1st July 1837 mainly in Suffolk, but it did include a couple of parishes in Essex and in Cambridgeshire.

Barnardiston, Clare, Cowlinge, Denston, (sometimes written as Denardiston), Gt Bradley, Gt Thurlow, Gt Wratting, Hundon, Haverhill, Kedington, Lt Bradley, Lt Thurlow, Lt Wratting, Monks Risbridge, Poslingford, Stansfield, Stoke-by-Clare, Stradishall, Wickhambrook, Withersfield and Wixoe.

The Parish Registers are held at Suffolk - Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and some are at Braintree, Colchester, and Chelmsford.

I live in south Suffolk and sometimes drive to Cambridge via Haverhill - I seem to be driving back and forth into Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire all along the road to Cambridge.

You might find www.haverhill-uk.com helpful there is page for Suffolk Family History Society with lots of information.

Good luck with the searches :)

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?