Author Topic: kildwick, unusual request  (Read 2125 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
kildwick, unusual request
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 04:50 BST (UK) »
To all Kildwickians, past and present, I have an unusual request to put to you.

I live in Australia and have ancestors from the village of Kildwick.  I have been sent some great photos of the village with more to come.
I plan to do a large painting of this.

I thought it would be a good idea to take it back in time to 1851, and include my Blacksmith ancestor, John Simpson.
Then I got another bright idea and thought how good would it be to include other Kildwickians (is this a word?) ie Vicar.

So, keeping this in mind, can anyone out there provide me with the following details for the village of Kildwick in 1851 - Who was the proprietor of the White Lion hotel, who was the post master, the vicar at Kildwick parish church (John Fawcett?).  In the 1834 directory there was a butcher, draper, grocer and shoemaker amongst others, can anyone add these to my 1851 list.  Also any
'general public' welcome.
I would probably need their ages to be realistic.

My next request is for anyone descendant of those people in 1851 to possibly provide a photo of their ancestor (I do realise photography came a bit later).

Does anyone know what a vicar wore in 1851? Or for that matter, clothing of any above occupations.

I know I have a large project ahead of me and hopefully I can live up to the challenge and do it justice.
This project is my way of combining two of my main interests: Art and genealogy.

Any help appreciated and thankyou for taking the time to read this.  ;D
Regards
Margaret.
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: kildwick, unusual request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this, it may be of some help

http://www.ateal.co.uk/family/

denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 05:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Denn,
I have put it in my favourites, will study in detail.
thankyou, off to a flying start.  ;)
margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thought I would share one of my findings in case they are of interest to other researchers:
Rev. J. I. C. Fawcett was Vicar at Kildwick parish church  from 1843 to 1868.
regards Margaret

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
The Rev John Turner Colman Fawcett is a several times great uncle of mine. I have only just started doing serious research on him.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

wow, you will find some interesting bits on him I am sure.
I have a huge amount of information now on the church and it mentions all the reverends and when they were there and a bit about each.
If you don't have this I am happy to provide.
I think I even have a pic of him.
Your ancestor was the reverend who married  some of mine, thats pretty amazing I think ;D

I never had much response to my 'unusual request' but have since found a couple of neighbours and I am getting a great image of the life around Kildwick during that era. I had almost decided to rethink the painting.

Anything you can offer me would be fantastic.
Margaret

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 06 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret
Here is a physical description of Rev JTC Fawcett:
tall in stature, upright as a soldier, he always wore a shepherd plaid slung Scotch-fashion over his shoulder: the clear cut face, the hawk nose, bushy eyebrows, and keen eyes marked him as a man of strong will.

From "History of the Ancient and Historic Church of St Andrew Kildwick-in-Craven". by Rev E W Brereton, pub 1909. Page 81.

Do you think you can translate that in oils?
Regards,
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 06 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
I think I must be related to you, you just described my family traits.  Yes, lucky me I got them too.  ;)

thanks for that, I think we both have the same details of the church records, I knew about the shepherds plaid but didn't know about the others.
I actually have a pic of him somewhere, do you?
will pass on if you want, it shows lots of different rev. that were at Kildwick at some time or another.
Thanks again,
Margaret