Author Topic: Visiting the church where my Gt Gt Grandparents got married  (Read 1951 times)

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Visiting the church where my Gt Gt Grandparents got married
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
I know my Gt Gt Grandparents John and Mary Lenton got married at St Laurence's Church in Foleshill in 1845. I know John was born in Sowe in 1816. From their marriage certificate I know John's father was called William. I also know that Mary was born in Endersby (Leicestershire) in 1827.

I can not find any mention of either of them on the 1841 census.

I'm going to be visiting close to Foleshill next month and wondered if there would be any point in going to the church to see if there might be any records of John's family which might lead me to finding out about his parent's/siblings? Maybe John's parents are buried there?

This would be my first 'investagive' trip and I could really do with some advice. Maybe someone knows that parish, or the Vicar there?

Looking forward to hearing from someone!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting the church where my Gt Gt Grandparents got married
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Lyndsey
there are 131 Lentons buried at St.Laurence Foleshill between 1636-1899
according to the NBI 2nd. ed.Do you want any of them?
Regards Jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Thank you for your reply. Your offer has made me realise the stupidity of my question. I hadn't realised how many Lenton's are buried there and I just don't have enough information (i.e only his name and occupation) to know where to start looking!

If John had been baptised at St. Laurence's would his baptism records be there?  Would I better better off looking for this? Would it contain details of both his parents?

Many thanks

Lyndsey

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

The St laurence parish registers are held at warwickshire county record Office and the link here gives the dates of the registers that they hold for this church

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/1D9C56B70455CCCE80256AA000561828

They also have the Sowe registers aswell

Here is another link explaining about visiting them and what you need

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/43D720C51D1CC89D80256A10003CC441

Hope this helps

lemon

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemon

Thanks for the links.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never been to a Records Office before. What form will the baptism information be in?

Will it be volume and page reference numbers like you get from 1837 online.com or are actual certificates held there?

I've just dug my baptism certificate out to have a look at what information it gives and see that both parents names are given plus Godparents - will baptism certificates dating back to 1816 also have all that information on? I do hope so!

Many thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Lyndsey

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndsey
You will need a C.A.R.N. it's a credit like card which you can obtain from the records office main desk when you get there.You will need proof of identity such as passport,driving licence etc.You will be looking at microfilm of the original records.Pre 1837 they can be difficult to read so give yourself plenty of time.There are people there to help you when you arrive.I f you want directions let me know but it's about a 6-8 min. walk from the station.
I've looked at the Foleshill batches and there are plenty of Lentons there but I would get as much info from here first so you have something definite to look for when you go to the C.R.O.
Do you want us to look for your Family and do you want any of these Lenton burials I've saved for you.
Regards Jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at your note again,the entries will probably give the mother's name as well but not always as it wasn't considered by some clergymen to be of any importance.
Jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 06 23:04 BST (UK) »
Jim - you're a brick!  I'm going to be staying with a friend in Tamworth who has very kindly offered to come and help me look (she has no experience of family research either so it really will be the blind leading the blind!) We will be travelling by train so directions from the train station would be helpful.

Yes, any help looking for my Lenton's would be much appreciated and I will happily tell everything I know, but it isn't much and I would not wish to waste your time. Please do send the Lenton burials if you think the limited info I have will enable me to identfy the very elusive William Lenton!

Re. your last message - lets hope the Vicar who performed the baptism wan't a male chauvinist!

Have had a very interesting evening! Thanks to all who've replied to me today, but alas, tomorrow is a work day and it's time for bed...

Regards

Lyndsey

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

The train to Warwick:

There are two train stations at warwick - do NOT get of at warwick parkway, GET of at Warwick station and go out the back entrance, down the long flight of stone stairs and turn left at the bottom, then walk along the path until you get to the railway bridge turn left (undernerth the railway bridge and keep walking up this path - you will see warwick record office set up on the left hand side (you have to turn back onyourself at the top of the path.)

From 1813 the baptism registers were set out on a form and it is unusuall from this time for the mothers name not to be included.

The registers are usually on microfilm and set in pages in date order.

Rememeber both you and your friend will need ID with your address on and signature and name, passports dont have addresses so your driving licence is better or utility bills.

Lemon