Author Topic: Is there any other website - ScotlandsPeople?  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there any other website - ScotlandsPeople?
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is any other website apart from ScotlandPeople to search for family relatives in Scotland, I live in Dundee.  It's costing me a fortune!!

Elizabeth

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any other website - ScotlandsPeople?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

The IGI site is free. Try  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp.  There are various regional sites so it depends on which part of the country you are searching in. You could Google for these.

If you need to search a particualr parish try:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryScotland.htm
This extends the ordinary IGI search facility.
Watch how you use the LDS (i.e. IGI) sites as they record entries for religious purposes not to help us genealogists. There are two types of entry - An extract which is taken from the Church of Scotland records and is usually fairly accurate
And a submission which is an informed guess about dates/parents/places and has not been checked for accuracy.
The records are very useful to check where and when someone was born or married but it is better to follow it up by buying the correct certificate from scotlandspeople. It tells you more anyway!
If it is costing you too much is that because you keep finding the wrong certificates?  There are ways to avoid some of the incorrect searches. Look for the guidance on RootsChat and TalkingScot as well as scotlandspeople. Learn how to use wildcards in a search and where the different parishes are.
We all had to learn the hard (expensive) way and that's what RootsChat is about. Learning from each other.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:26 BST (UK) »
There are ways to avoid some of the incorrect searches. Look for the guidance on RootsChat and ....

For instance:
Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob

It was late, I was tired and couldn't think where the link was.
Why do they have to change the clock anyway????

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 20:36 BST (UK) »
No, there isn't. None of the other sites gives you access to images of original certificates, fully indexed.

If you are in Dundee, then you could easily go to New Register House in Edinburgh for the price of a return rail or bus ticket plus £17 for a day's research. You'll get access to far more information for your money that way because you pay for the time, not per certificate. And you can look at certificates after the SP cut-off dates.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
I really recommend visiting New Register House in Edinburgh if you can get there.  I'd spent a small fortune on SP before I realised a day off work and £17 could get me hundreds of certificates.

As a tip...

If you do get to go there mock up a wrd document or excel spreadsheet in the same format as a certificate it makes copying down the info a lot easier and is much cheaper than printing the image.

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the information about various other websites apart from Scotlands people!!

I am unable to travel to Edinburgh as my husband is disabled and very ill, I have to be with him at all times.  This is why I just use the computer to do searches, cant travel to Edinburgh.  I have used the LDS family Search but you can't get any census on this.

I find with large familiies its easier if you know all the names from a census first, then search each persons BMD details.

Elizabeth1 ::)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth 1,

Depending on the area you are researching, Dundee registrars office allow searches. You can view certificates and print them. Give them a ring.

Jean ;D
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Beaver13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Schenck + Heilbronn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
For Census Records in Scotland it is certainly worth trying the FreeCEN website at : -

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

This site covers the Census records for 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871 and 1891, but is still under construction by volunteers. Although it cannot yet be said to be nearing completion, I have already succeeded in finding many records.  So even now it is certainly worth a try, Elizabeth. 

Apart from locations and addresses, the census records will provide you with the composition of the Families, approximate ages, relationships and occupations and this in itself may lighten the burden of having to buy so many certificates.

With warm good wishes for your research.
No particular names.  Just offering assistance, when I feel that I may be able to help.

Especially interested in enquiries concerning locations of Places and old Properties - farms etc., in England, Wales and Scotland.