Author Topic: Is there any other website - ScotlandsPeople?  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any other website - ScotlandsPeople?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beaver13,

I have tried that website over and over again and can't find any of my relatives even although I know their exact year of birth and place of birth in Dundee Scotland.

Eizabeth

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the area you are researching, Dundee registrars office allow searches. You can view certificates and print them. Give them a ring.

Be aware that the standard charge for reasearch in local registrars' offices is £10 per hour.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I have tried that website over and over again and can't find any of my relatives even although I know their exact year of birth and place of birth in Dundee Scotland.

You need to check the coverage at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/statistics.html from which you will see that so far only the 1841 census of Angus is on FreeCen. If your people were born after 7 June 1841 you will not find them on FreeCen yet.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see,

Now that would explain it, I just couldn't find any information on my family there at all.

maybe later they will add more census to the Angus are.

thanks for telling me!! Well its back to Scotlands People then.

Elizabeth.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Transcriptions of 1841 51 and 61 are now on Ancestry - from comments not super good transcriptions  :(  but quite searchable by lots of options (cf. SP) & once found much easier to then get the image on SP as you know it is the correct one.

The IGI (as mentioned above) also has the civil indexes for Scotland births and marriages  1855-1875. It is useful for searching as rather than using wild cards it equates names so if you search for e.g. Elizabeth you will get all the abbreviations including Betty. You can also search by parent names.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I was just looking on IGI Family Search but not much of my relatives there,
really wanted census but don't have Ancestry as most of my family are Scottish.  So as I said back to Scotlands People!!.

Elizabeth :'(

Offline Beaver13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Schenck + Heilbronn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth I (or should I say Your Majesty?)

I am really sorry that the FreeCen website that I suggested earlier does not yet cover the area in which you are interested.

As you know, much to my chagrin, my own Ancestry subscription does not cover Scotland. So to save you any further hassle, may I suggest that you post on this Forum, all the essential information that you have about the person or family concerned and ask for "Look-ups" in the relevant census records.  There are many wonderfully helpful folk on this Rootschat site and I am confident that you will receive almost immediate responses from those who have regular subscriptions to Ancestry Scotland.  I feel sure that they will be only too delighted to help you.

With warm good wishes for your research and, now that it is so close, a Very Happy Christmas!

No particular names.  Just offering assistance, when I feel that I may be able to help.

Especially interested in enquiries concerning locations of Places and old Properties - farms etc., in England, Wales and Scotland.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 December 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beaver,

No just plain Elizabeth will do thank you !!he he

Sorry I am so late replying to your message, computer was playing up and busy time of year the cause.

As far as I know there isn't an Ancestry Scotland!!  Ancestry do have the 1841 and 1861 Scottish census though, please correct me if I am wrong!!

I have tried IGI which does help a bit and people who have the BIVRI discs too have helped!!

All my family on both sides come from Ireland !! The census do not tell you where in Ireland, they just have Monaghan or Down which really doesn't help.

I have been trying for 2 years to find a Thomas Collins from Durham born in County Monaghan 1841 who has a father called Owen Collins, still can't find it either so now I have the Carney's and Kennedy's to worry about too.

Elizabeth :'(

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 December 06 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Scottish records can be useful for Irish clues but only if you are very very lucky and get a certificate for a birth, marriage or death in 1855. 

It's worth searching in the extended family.  In 1855 only they added the birth parish fro parents so I found my Fallen's had come from Sligo 17 years earlier.

So with fingers crossed! Always invest in 1855 certs.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!