Author Topic: Fantastic Frocks!  (Read 23161 times)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Fantastic Frocks!
« on: Monday 27 March 06 10:33 BST (UK) »
This idea was born during Prue M 's wonderful photo dating competition: she suggested we have a thread to compete for the family photo with the most spectacular clothing, including headgear. As I have no idea how we could go about choosing a winner, I suggest a "winnerless competition" just for fun. Or maybe a moderator could organise a vote?

I'd like to start it off with this offering — a photo of my father (really!) aged 1, taken in 1906. He could take off with a moderate wind.... ::)

BTW  The pic (left) of my tiny-waisted grandmother Lilian Hopkins, is the one that sparked this off, along with Cal 241's wonderful crinoline lady (see Photo dating challenge #7).

Have fun, Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic Frocks!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Great photo Rian!  Can you believe they used to dress their poor little boys up like that  :o

I've posted this lady before - it's Cal241's great-great-grandmother, and my g-g-g-grandmother, Caroline Ingram nee Morrish.  Taken sometime in the mid-1860s.  Check out the crinoline!!  8)

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Here is another, taken around 1918, not so much eye-popping fashion as just a bit strange...on the right is my grandmother Nell, and on the left is my grandfather's sister, dressed as my grandfather!  I'm not sure what was going on...it was before Nell and Harry were married, so presumably they were just playing dressups, but I have no idea.  I wish I did!  These girls loved dressing up as men, I have lots of snaps of Nell and her friends and sisters dressed in men's clothes, pretending to saw wood and ride horses etc.
Prue

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
Now I know this one isn't a frock but it the guy in the middle always make me laugh.  The photo is of my grandad (right) and two unknown mates during WW2. 

I have seen sailor uniforms on cartoons etc but never realised they really did wear such wide trousers.  Surely they weren't practical!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
 ;D kerry!
That is one of the least attractive outfits I've seen  :o

Just goes to show that the 70s didn't introduce the bell-bottoms!!

Prue

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 12:13 BST (UK) »
Apparently not!  ;D

Can you imagine scrambling up and down narrow ladders in that outfit.  When I was 16 my dad treated me to a birthday treat - a visit to the HMS Belfast!!!!! and there were some very narrow ladders and corridors on that.  They must have been excellent needleworkers!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:50 BST (UK) »

I have seen sailor uniforms on cartoons etc but never realised they really did wear such wide trousers.  Surely they weren't practical!

Apparently they were  practical.  I just googled and found they were introduced in 1817 so men could roll them up to swab the decks.  Also they could take them off in a hurry if they had to abandon ship and tie the legs together to make a life preserver if necessary!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
I love this photo - it cracks me up! It reminds me of that American Gothic painting where the old guy is holding a pitchfork.

Check out the waistband height on these trousers!

Caz
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:08 BST (UK) »
Also some fantastic glasses in those days... almost good enough for a caption competition these!
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex