Author Topic: Genealogical single-mindedness  (Read 3248 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Genealogical single-mindedness
« on: Monday 27 March 06 13:05 BST (UK) »
I was asked by a relative of a relative to investigate his father's side of the family.  Now this gentleman has the same surname as the first PM of this country, ennobled as the 1st Earl of Orford, and he wanted to prove a connection to the aristocracy.  He had already traced the line as far back as the late 18th century in Rutland.  So I did what I could, but although I've uncovered a lot of fascinating stuff, as you do, about his father's ancestors, I can see no connection at all with the Earl in question.  His pedigree is on the LDS site, and the nearest they get to Rutland is a brief excursion into Huntingdonshire.  Since it's the name of a village, they probably were connected if you go back far enough, but then weren't we all!
He's not interested in the rest of his family history.  He's now prepared to revisit record offices in his pursuit of this fantasy connection to nobility.  I think it's sad.  Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical single-mindedness
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
That is really sad, I feel sorry for him.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it would be quite interesting to unearth a link to a well known family, but surely only in passing and to be treated equally with the other past members of the tree.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think that is sad too.

I gave up on the being related to nobility ages ago and now just get excited when I find someone who is something different from a Ag Lab!!  Ohhh a Poultry farmer - wow!!!

Kerry  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
I agree with Kerry. Generations of Ag Labs and finally... a tailor! I was excited.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just found a gentleman's coachman in my family - probably as near to the Gentry that I will get  :)

Nashua
Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:48 BST (UK) »
My grandaunt work for Queen Mary, that doesn't make her royality though, {or maybe it does *strokes chin*}

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Sharon - don't be greedy, you've already got your fab grt uncle Freddie! ;D

Me, I got a thrill when I found a cordwainer...oooh ropes!! :o  :-[  :-\  :-X, then I found out he was just a posh cobbler! ;D ;D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Not just a posh cobbler, they used the finer leather from Spain apparently!  I had one too.  :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....