Author Topic: Genealogical single-mindedness  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical single-mindedness
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, but the point was made that you have many millions of 40th generation ancestors, only one of whom need be Charlemagne for you to be his descendant.

Many others of those millions will be Charlemagne's contemporaries.

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
That's what I meant...I think

Oh dear I've gone cross-eyed!  ;D
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
I think that is sad too.

I gave up on the being related to nobility ages ago and now just get excited when I find someone who is something different from a Ag Lab!!  Ohhh a Poultry farmer - wow!!!

Kerry  ;D

Same here ( with the occasional tenant farmer and two small landowners) and coal miners and forgemen. I think I'd be embarrassed to be connected to nobility.
And what's so special about it :-\
I'm proud of all my ancestors - they triumphed over the odds and I'm here to prove it ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Absolutely, it's not about who you are linked to, it's about who they were and how they lived that made you what you are.

Or that's what I think anyway!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 March 06 20:37 BST (UK) »
Isn't it also a lot more interesting to rummage around through records, and get the smallest sniff of a clue about an unknown ancestor, and to try to piece together a tiny image of their life, rather than just go to a library, pick up a book and see them sitting there smuggly in a portrait painted by Holbein, looking out as if they were far more deserving of memory than my old ancestor William Robins, born 1810, Heathfield (who, by the way, is still missing in action, if anyone can help! ;))

That's most of the fun as far as I'm concerned.

Glen

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 March 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Glen

I so agree with you.  You wouldn't believe how excited I feel at the moment because I have had a small breakthrough today with one of my families.  I searched on Ancestry yet again for a census record of them and found the 1861.  Wow

Posted a message about the 1841 and within half an hour Cisselby came back and answered my question. 

I had the daughter with father's name on marriage cert, I had found the father but could not positively link him to her, now I can.

Sorry but I am so excited.  That to me is much more rewarding than seeing a famous painting.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 March 06 20:59 BST (UK) »
And the joy of finding each and everyone. Don't know about the rest of you, but I have a little quiet minute whenever I find a death.

Finding their signatures (those few that could write) is another thrill.

The only thing that I would really have liked was to know what they looked like - but its quite fun to think about how they looked. Maybe I'll do some imaginary portraits of them .

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
I can imagine what a few of mine looked like and if any of the photos on the family likeness thread are anything to go by, probably fairly like me!!!!

Kerry

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 07:15 BST (UK) »
Yes - I think it's far more exciting to find obscure ancestors through one's own sweat and toil than to have them all ready made, sitting in a book on a shelf!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland