Author Topic: Snowdon, Dalking  (Read 3590 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Snowdon, Dalking
« on: Friday 08 October 04 15:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth of my great grandfather  Robert Snowdon, if the dates on his marriage certificate and the 1891 and 1901 census records are correct, he was born in 1864.
This is where the problems start, on the marriage certificate he is shown as having a father, one Thomas Snowdon, deceased, police Constable.(marriage 1885)
On the 1891 census he is shown as being born at Scotswood Northumberland.
On the 1901 census he is shown as being born Stockton Durham.
Having checked the 1837 site, the only Robert Snowdon I can find in 1864 is born in Morpeth workhouse to an Ann Snowdon with no father shown.
Now, I would have thought that if you were going to invent a father to put on a marriage certificate, you would have chosen something commonplace, or similar to the occupation you had yourself, in Robert's case, Agricultural worker,  I would have thought that the respect for authority would have prohibited using something like a police constable.
That apart, given that he was illigitimate, where is he in 1871 and 1881?  he is not in Morpeth workhouse,  I can find an Ann Snowdon in  Morpeth working as a servant age 26, which is reasonable, but no Robert age 6 with her.
On the 1891 census he gives his full name as Robert Dalking Snowdon, does this mean that he was brought up with a family called Dalking?
I have checked the records for Robert Dalking, but have drawn a blank, a number of Dalkings, but no Robert.
Anyone any ideas?
Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Neenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Love to live, shop to die!
    • View Profile
Re: Snowdon, Dalking
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy

This is a real poser, isn't it?  Freebmd also show the following birth:

Robert SNOWDON  Dec quarter 1865  Morpeth Vol10b Page 266

Is there any chance that this might be him?  I know that census returns aren't always accurate where ages are concerned and he might have fibbed at his marriage if he were under-age.  Also did his marriage certificate show his "full" name or just Robert SNOWDON? 

There is a Robert SNOWDON listed in 1881 census aged 16 years, born in Harton, Durham and living with his farmer parents. Incidentally, his mother is called Annie - but that's more than likely a coincidence!  (RG11/5019/83/65 - Harton Down Hill, Harton, Durham)

Regarding the DALKING, there is a Robert DALKIN listed in 1881 census aged 16 years, but born in South Shields, Durham (RG11/4920/28/3 - Canney Hill, Coundon, Durham).

That's about all I can offer, I'm afraid!  Not much, I know.

Best of luck with your search
Janeen
Ankers, Scorer, Claughan, Codling, Hewitson, Lilley, Minto, Mumberson, Trotter, Tweddle

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Snowdon, Dalking
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:05 GMT (UK) »
 :(  Thanks for trying Janeen,
Yes I have seen all of the ones you have found, but tend to stick to the 24th June 1864 date for his birth as it works out right when you compare his marriage and census ages, the others work out wrong on either one or the other.   
I have searched through the 1871 census for some of the Morpeth Workhouse catchment areas and have come across two possible contenders.  One working as a farm servant, unmarried but with no children to be seen, the other living with her sister...both of these two snowdons are unmarried and have four children between them, living with them, but no sign of my Robert.
I have got research underway at Northumberland Records Office to see if his mother tried to get payments for his upkeep through the courts, but have not had the results yet, and I have somebody else digging through the old police records in both Durham and Northumberland to see if the information on his marriage cert. stands any chance of being correct..a very doubtful happening.
Still, I keep on digging away, you never know, someday I may just chance on something.  He HAS to be somewhere in 1871/1881
Thanks again for looking up for me, its much appreciated.

Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire