Author Topic: Ancestral blunders  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ancestral blunders
« on: Monday 27 March 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've had three real big saddnesses in my research.

The first was after my mother's parents died in the 1920s and her eldest brother destroyed virtually all of the papers and photos. We did get the Family Bible though, which I know have.

The second was after my father's parent's died in 1949. The daughters-in-law cleared out the house and most of the papers and photos were again thrown out. (My sister told me this, as I was too young to know - she saved a diary of my Nain's from the dustbin).

Finally, and maybe the worst: my Dad had kept page a day diaries for about 25 years before he died. These were not the 'what I did' sort, but his memories of his life, local history, his family, etc. I used to skim through them when we went to visit. After they died, my sister and I both looked for the diaries. For months, I thought she had them and she though I had them. When we eventually talked about it, we realised that they had just disappeared except for about 2. Then she remembered that Mum's home help had told her a few years before that she'd thrown out a pile of old calendars. OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH :'( :'( :'(

Has anyone else lost such treasures in like ways?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral blunders
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Nowhere in the same league as your sad loss (and I must make sure I label my diaries quite carefully) but when I was a child my maternal grandmother taught my sister and I a little rhyme - Pilbeam, Terry, Payne, Faulkner, Fowler...... there were another 5 names in the rhyme.

These were the surnames in her maternal line going from her 10 generations back.  I wish I had taken note and learnt it, could you imagine how helpful that would be to me now.  I have managed to get as far as Faulkner for certain, Fowler sort of, further back????

Kerry  :-\ :-\ :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
Pilbeam is a lovely name Kerry.

Oh, grandparents ;)  I wish mine had lived a wee bit longer. And I wish I could remember all those snippets from Dad's tomes :'( :'( :'(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 21:38 BST (UK) »
My grandmother threw away some photos.  I don't know how many but I only have a handful of photos from her side.  Apparently the family bible was lost too.

There was a feud on my grandfather's side and his brother got everything, including all the photos.

The earliest photo that I have dates from about 1890.  I get jealous when people post old photos on here, I wish I had some from that far back.

Andrew

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
Andrew

We should all learn to be a bit more careful with this precious items.  My own two really old photos were emailed to me by a distant descendant of the same relative.  I treasure them.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
Gadget

I recently found out that the name Pilbeam came from a lost village somewhere in Sussex.  One day I might find out where!

Kerry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:34 BST (UK) »
A lost village - now there's one for the Ancestral homes/places. It's a bit like a fairy name.

The earliest photos I have, Andrew, are 1880s, and not many. One thing that I've done is to go around all the places that they lived taking photos of their houses, churches, land, etc. At least then there's something to add to any words I write ;D

Gadget

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Gadget

It's not just me then, I keep visiting churches, graveyards, villages and snapping away.  I plan to add some local history pages to my website eventually, if I ever find time.  It would be nice to make them personal by linking them in with the families rather than just cold facts about the places.

Kerry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
Kerry

You're doing a Keith  ;D ;D ;D

I've had a quick look at your website but I had a few error messages - think it said something about 'object expected in Line nn'. I have this occasionally. I think it's the BT/Yahoo browser :(

I've got some lovely letters and documents, even if I've no photos, about/from some of my lines. It's amazing what you can find in the various Archives - A2A is really a boon for my 'few' English ancestors.

Gadget