Author Topic: Northwich or Nantwich??  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Willow5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northwich or Nantwich??
« on: Monday 27 March 06 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I have been looking for my family - GG Grandfather is down on the census from 1891 to 1871(he died before the 1901 census) as being born in Northwich and living in St Helens. On the 1861 and 1851 census I find what looks like him as being born in Nantwich. He got married in 1861 and sometime after that he moved to St Helens. As far as I can see all the other names of his family on the earlier censuses match up. Is there a reason that the birthplaces differ or am I chasing a completely wrong family

Thanks
Webster - St Helens,/ Lathom
Stirrup - St Helens,/ Liverpool
Davies - Nantwich,/ St Helens

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: Northwich or Nantwich??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow5

It might still be the same guy.  Sometimes if they moved a fair distance, the birthplace got "rounded out" to a bigger nearby town or city [depending how far away they had gone], or somewhere that the enumerator had heard of.

Although Nantwich & Northwich are very distinct places, it is also possible that an enumerator in St Helen's might have misheard what was said or interpreted one for the other if he had heard of Northwich.

You might have to dig around & see if there are any other possibles which were born in Northwich to discard them first.

Never straighforward is it!

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra. Thanks for that. I think it is the right guy and no other names seem to match  in Northwich re parents etc. It reassures me that I am on the right track though.

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:33 BST (UK) »

Hi!!

Have you any idea when your grandfather was born???
 If you looked in the Registers of the Parish Church in Northwich you just might find him.Its worth a try.

There is an Auxilliary Register too and if he were there it would help you enormously.

Mrs Noah.
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.

Offline Willow5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs Noah.
I have got some names and dates off the Cheshire Parish records page,  that show there was some BMD's at St  Mary and St Nicholas (Nantwich), but in case they were the wrong family  I have not gone into it very deep yet. Now that I am more sure that they are the right ones I will have another look. I have not found any Northwich parish records yet though. thanks for replying

Willow5