Author Topic: What's the next step ???  (Read 6163 times)

Offline pierce-brosnan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's the next step ???
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 March 06 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I know what you mean about Edward Quayle but at least it has ruled him out  ;D  You gave me an idea, which I am grateful for, someone told me that the IGI for the Isle of Man is 99.9% complete so this is what I thought ...

His age in 1841 was 45 so they could have either rounded his age up or down by 5 years. This would make the year that he was born between 1791 & 1801.

I searched for Edward Quayle on the IGI and these are the results ...

1) Bapt Onchan 1791 parents Edward Q & Isabel Kneal.   Died 1844 in Onchan so that rules him out. I think this is the one you helped me with (thank you).

2) Born abt 1791 in Maughold  but it says his spouse was Mary Launay so that rules him out.

3) Bapt 17 March 1793 in Kirk Rushen parents John Q & Joney Coole but died 14 March 1797 so that rules him out.

4) Bapt 16 Nov 1800 in Bride parents John Q & Anne Cowin.  I think he is too young as it would make him only 15 when he got married in 1815.

5) Edward William Quayle bapt 17 March 1795 at St Mathews Douglas parents Charles Q & Ann Kermott.
I've ruled him out for the moment as my Edward Q doesn't seem to have a middle name ???

6) Edward bapt 30 Dec 1798 at Maughold parents Sam Quayle & Alice Curghey.  The naming patterns are pretty good too although I have not got any Samuels.  I may have found a burial for this Edward which says he was buried 20 April 1850 aged 54 at Maughold.  If he died a year later I could have tried to find him on the 1851 census - how inconsiderate  ::) ;)

7) Edward bapt 13 May 1798 at Kirk Rushen parents John Q & Joney Coole.  I think this one is a possibility as the names of the other siblings are similar to his own children. One of the older (if not eldest) son is called John ???

Not sure how I am going to prove it??? 

The other thing that is puzzling me a bit is Edward Quayle & Elizabeth Quine married in 1815 but the eldest child (I have found) was born in 1826 so in theory there must be other children mustn't there?

I have Elizabeth born 1826
           John born 8 Nov 1827
           Robert born 19 March 1829
           Ann born 1834
           Jane born 1836
           George born 1838
           Edward born 1 February 1840

I did a search on the IGI for baptisms on the Isle of Man for 1832 +/- 20 years parents Edward Q & Elizabeth and nothing comes up.  I did the same search for England, Lancashire and the following came up ...

Edward Q St Peters Liverpool 1826
John Q Wesleyan Methodist Ancoats 1828***
Robert Q Oldham Street Wesleyan 1829***
James Q St Peters Liverpool 1829
James Q Manchester Cathedral 1831***
George Jacob Q St Peters Liverpool 1834
Ellen Q St Peters Liverpool 1834
Margaret Q St Peters Liverpool 1837
Thomas Q St Peters Liverpool 1839
Sarah Q St Peters Liverpool 1842

The 3 with stars next to them belong to me so I am sure this is 2 separate families.  I checked on the 1851 census for the other family and found them at 205 Bedford Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool …
Edward Quale Head married 48 Customs Officer Tidewater born Liverpool, Lancs
Elizabeth Quale Wife married 50 born Liverpool, Lancs
James Quale Son Unmarried 22 Labourer, Porter born Liverpool, Lancs

Sorry to bore you with this  ::) If you have any thoughts on what to do next I am all ears.

Thanks for listening best wishes Vanda  :-*
Barnes - High Peak, Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire
Brown - Edingly, Nottinghamshire
Crossland - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Elvey & Eastland - Thanet
Foster - Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire
Hardy - Lancashire
Hopwood - Lancashire
Horrocks - Lancashire & Yorkshire
Larkin - Derbyshire & Ireland
Luxton - Chard, Somerset
Mason - Herefordshire
Notley - Somerset
Oakden - Staffs
Quayle - Manchester & IOM
Shirt - Derbyshire
Smith - Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline DJDouglass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Vanda, I couldn't get the site to work on Friday so I couldn't respond.  Was gone all weekend.

Looks like you have followed logical careful steps in your researching.  The Rushen Quayles look promising.

I'm beginning to wonder about the 1815 marriage.  It isn't uncommon to have couples with same names.  It might be a good idea to see the parish record entry.
Rather on the young side for Manx marriages but not out of question.  If either was underage (21) there would have been permission by relevant parent or guardian.  That would help on the parent question as well as explaining the long gap of children.
Who knows!

Outside of running into someone with same lineage, the best way to prove some of these old families is via wills.  Both men and women often left them and they can often be very informative.

Keep me posted.

Regards,
Donna
All Manx Surnames, esp Cain(e) & Quayle

Offline pierce-brosnan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Donna,

Just got in from work  ;D  I have found out there is an LDS church on the Isle of Wight so I am going to give them a call when the children go back to school after the Easter holidays.  I will see if they can order me the film that the marriage is on so I can see if it throws any light on it.  The baptism for Elizabeth Quine is correct I think because of the baptism entry of her son (stating Elizabeth's parents).  It would mean her being only 16 when she got married which I don't suppose is out of the realms of possibility.  It's just the children's ages that bother me  ???

Oh well, I will have to keep digging, which, I have to say, is what I enjoy the most  ;D

Thanks for listening Donna, I'll let you know if I find anything else.  Very best wishes, Vanda xXx
Barnes - High Peak, Derbyshire
Bramwell - Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire
Brown - Edingly, Nottinghamshire
Crossland - Derbyshire & Lancashire
Elvey & Eastland - Thanet
Foster - Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire
Hardy - Lancashire
Hopwood - Lancashire
Horrocks - Lancashire & Yorkshire
Larkin - Derbyshire & Ireland
Luxton - Chard, Somerset
Mason - Herefordshire