Author Topic: Inquest & Newspaper Records  (Read 1085 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Inquest & Newspaper Records
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with this one!

I have a death certificate for my Gt Gt Grandfather's 8 year old sister Harriet Harrison, who died 23rd February 1870 in Claverdon. The cause of death given is "accidentally burnt" and underneath that "24 hours", which suggests that the poor little mite suffered for 24 hours before succumbing to her injuries! An inquest was held on 24th February 1870.

My question is this, would the record ofice in Warwick have inquest records/coroners records or am I limited to possible newspaper reports? Either way I would also like to know what newspapers covered the Claverdon area at this time?

I hope someone can provide me with an answer to this, as I would like to know how she was accidently burnt!!

Many thanks in advance

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest & Newspaper Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Warwick Advertiser would have covered some of the news in Claverdon area, try warwickshire Record office or Warwick library where they have the newspaper on microfilm.

You may also want to try the Stratford Newspapers - for those try The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust record office which covers Stratfors and surrounding villages.

It may have been reported in the newspaper.

Warwick record office hold coroners records and they survive for some areas of warwickshire from about the middle of the 19c, so you may be in luck.

As you have a date of death it will making searching easier.

Lemon

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemon,

Thanks very much! All I have to do now is get to Warwick and or Stratford (Transport and  money allowing!!)

Regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 19:10 BST (UK) »
try phoning them - i did that for a death in Brum and they found the newspaper report and copied it for me - cost me a tenner but less than going there......

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"